How do you Siphon the sand?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Not how like how do you DO it but what do you use?

I've been using a "small" siphon tube from Walley-World that's designed for smaller (10g) tanks. It only picks up and "siphons" dust like particles and due to the small diameter of the drain hose has very little "power". So in my Massive Amount of Wisdom I decided to use a 9' piece of 1 1/2" clear tubing to try and pick up some larger particles. Let me warn you.. if you want to remove Water, Detritus, Sand and LIVE ROCK in a matter of seconds this IS the way to go. If you're ONLY wanting to disturb the very top most layer and not remove the ENTIRE sandbed this is NOT the way to go. Plus it takes a while to get all the SAND out of the Filter Sock because it fills up FAST like that... :lol:

So what do you peeps that have slightly larger tanks (say 55 and up) use for this?

So let's hear your ideas, suggestions and INVENTIONS!! :)

framerguy

For the hard to reach areas I just use a small siphon hose. But for the open sand bed I have a small vaccuum cleaner brush attachment that I put on the end of the hose and brush the sand. It picks up the crud but "mostly" leaves the sand. Very little sand gets sucked up.

corrado007

Hi there Allen,
I usually just have a siphon hose (5/8" i think) in one hand and a turkey baster in the other. I blow the sand with the baster to suspend the detritus (pumps all off so it doesn't blow away) and suck it up with the hose.

Also, in the event that I have cayano (sp?) or other algae on the sand I will directly siphon the surface sand into a 5gal bucket. I then swirl the bucket and it seems to separate the algae from the sand, the algae floats in the bucket (especially while swirling the water), and I dump the water which leaves the clean sand behind. I then reintroduce the cleaned sand into the tank.

Hope that helps man, good luck.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I use the 'normal' siphon hose that has the larger diameter end. It works great for siphoning my sand bed. I usually siphon the sand bed every few months or so. MAN does it get nasty! It does take a bit of finesse to NOT siphon out the sand but it can be done with a tilt of the hose.... maybe I'll get pics next time...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks to all for the comments!!

Doni that's what I am using but the hose and tube are just too small to do any good. I'll probably run to LFs and get a larger one.

:)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
With a Tiger Tail Cucumber! :) It's like the Flintstone's Wooly mammoth vacuum cleaner, only squishier! :lol:

Octoman

Al, I use the same thing as you, tiny 10g tank siphon to suck just the dust out. I like having relatively little power because it doesn't pick up too much or go too deep and it gives you plenty of time to hit all the spots you want to. I don't siphon very much anyway, my cucumber and conch keep things pretty tidy on the sand. I usually just hit the areas where there is a noticeable build-up about once a month and only siphon off the surface. And, I do it during my water change, so I siphon right into the waste bucket. When I'm done cleaning, I switch over to the big hose to get water out fast for the rest of the WC.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I went to a lecture given by Julian Sprung last Spring. Guess what? He doesn't siphon the sand beds on his aquariums!

Octoman

In the reading prow gave me, it mentions that you may be siphoning out valuable food for your denitrifying bacteria. Gotta find that link now...

amc78cj7

I went to a lecture given by Julian Sprung last Spring. Guess what? He doesn't siphon the sand beds on his aquariums!

My understanding is that you want to leave the sand undisturbed for the anaerobic bacteria, right?

I suppose if you had cyano really bad you could get just the surface.....

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I believe that is the preferred method of sand siphoning, just the surface. Julian said if anything he might stir the sand in small patches, around the tank, every couple of months, but that he did not siphon or vacuum the sandbed.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm just wanting to siphon for pure aesthetics. I like the "Fresh Sand" look plus more Coral Beauty poops like a Saint Bernard!!! :)

I'm not looking to do a 100% sandbed vacuum but I do like to keep the front area looking neat & tidy!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I will always siphon my sand bed whether Julian does his or not. I do not feel I disturb the bacteria nor remove infauna to the detriment of my reef. I still have tons of worms in the sand bed, zero nitrates and tons of pods. The nasty filth that is removed each time guarantees that vacuuming will continue.

kathywithbirds

I got what Jeff has, only the end is slanted. I do spot vacuums, mostly for heavy gunk, but that's only once every month to two months. I have two sand sifting stars and like 6 nassarius snails that keep things pretty good. I know that's a lot of starfish for a 75 but I'm a little low on teh snail side and I overfeed.

CATALYST

I usually stir the sand with a clear stick I got on one of those mylar balloons from my birthday. For quick water changes, I just stick an mj900 with a tube to empty the tank and then switch it to the water change bucket to fill it back up. For detailing, I use this siphon from harbor freight.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I will always siphon my sand bed whether Julian does his or not.

What do you have against Julian Sprung? This is the second time I have mentioned this and you have made a remark like that. I was simply relaying what I heard in his talk. Is there something about this world renowned marine biologist's methods that you know and we don't?