how do you make PROPPER top off water

i am wondering what one needs to do to make top off water the best way. i know the ph and some other stuff is no where near close when adding to tank. so how does one get the values similar other than salinity

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Top-Off doesn't get anything unless you're "DOSING" something. Top-Off PH will not match tank because there is nothing in the water to buffer/affect the PH. The goal is to have the Top-Off water close to tank water TEMP and everything else is just a "go". The key is to top off in small amounts as to not have a large impact on the tank all at once.

ive set up a system that lets me add about a gallon an hour for top off. i just put a valve in the line so it just trickles ... my brainiac buddy told me i needed to add stuff to it. its funny when i look at his tank and mine , mine blows his away by far

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you don't TEST for it don't dose for it. Many of us get along very well with routine water changes.

fishhead

Topping of with kalkwasser will be most beneficial. Add it by dripping at a rate of about 1 drop per second at a concentration of about 1 tsp per gallon in the top off water. If that does not keep up with your evaporati0on requirements, go ahead and just add water like Al said. Just having the kalk-drip going will offset any acidity of your add back water. An again, like Al said, your plain add back water at whatever pH it happens to be, has no buffer capacity, and will assume the pH of the tank to which it is added.
Hope that helps a bit.
Oh, yes. And it is quite easy to make a kalk dripper out of a gallon milk jug and some aquarium air tubing. :thumber:

Adam Black

JK burton, do you have a float switch in place or do you have something that just drips constantly? I would'nt mess with kalkwasser. I've heard to many scary stories of over doing it.

fishhead

JK burton, do you have a float switch in place or do you have something that just drips constantly? I would'nt mess with kalkwasser. I've heard to many scary stories of over doing it.

You must me joking. Kalkwasser at that rate is quite safe.I personally have heard no scary stories about using it. I suppose if I was adding back 24 gallons per day like you are, then a kalkdrip would do little for make up water. I would still, however, use a kalkwasser drip, especially going through as much water as you do, to help maintain alkalinity.

fishhead

ive set up a system that lets me add about a gallon an hour for top off. i just put a valve in the line so it just trickles ... my brainiac buddy told me i needed to add stuff to it. its funny when i look at his tank and mine , mine blows his away by far

Do you have any pictures up of your tank? I noticed your gallery was empty. You should upload some pics. Or are they elsewhere? But anyway, 24 gallons a day add back...really? That is a lot of water. A nano tank per day!..lol
G

right now im adding 2.2 gallons a day roughly. when all my tanks are up its gonna be more. i did buy an ato. i have a valve that is pretty much set on fast drip to add back. i will get some pics posted in the next few days.. my lights are already off for the night

fishhead

right now im adding 2.2 gallons a day roughly. when all my tanks are up its gonna be more. i did buy an ato. i have a valve that is pretty much set on fast drip to add back. i will get some pics posted in the next few days.. my lights are already off for the night

I saw on your tank profile that you had a 75 gallon reef tank. You did say about a gallon an hour of top off. I thought that was a bit much and that something must be wrong. Now it is more like 2 gallons a day, and you speak of "all your tanks" , so obviously I am a bit confused.

on my system i have 2 40 gallon breeders and a 75 tied into a 40 breeder sump with a rio hyper flow 32. that is why i get so much water loss. in a normal day i add about 2.2 gallons over a few hours with the top off

Adam Black

You must me joking. Kalkwasser at that rate is quite safe.I personally have heard no scary stories about using it. I suppose if I was adding back 24 gallons per day like you are, then a kalkdrip would do little for make up water. I would still, however, use a kalkwasser drip, especially going through as much water as you do, to help maintain alkalinity.

I've seen beautiful tanks destroyed because of alkalinity spikes caused by kalk and it sounds like JK burton isn't using a ato but more of a drip till it's all in your system setup. I've seen them fail thousands of times. I've tried hanging a iv bag filled with water to replenish my tanks water but you just can't set it right. If he's going to flood his sump with water, let it just be water and not Kalk.

no i have an ato unit that i set on drip so that it doesnt fill it up all at one time. so far its been really good. i dont dose kalk, and i only put enough water in the bucket for the day. i have my return area marked in gallons so i know exactly how much to add in the morning. been doing this for 5 years so i have my system down to how i like it. i find it easier if the make up water comes in slowly rather than all at one time. like i said this is just how my system works. what works for me may not for you. but im happy with it and it has never failed me so far.

Adam Black

no i have an ato unit that i set on drip so that it doesnt fill it up all at one time. so far its been really good. i dont dose kalk, and i only put enough water in the bucket for the day. i have my return area marked in gallons so i know exactly how much to add in the morning. been doing this for 5 years so i have my system down to how i like it. i find it easier if the make up water comes in slowly rather than all at one time. like i said this is just how my system works. what works for me may not for you. but im happy with it and it has never failed me so far.

Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm a little confused. Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My system is roughly 120g (sump, fuge and DT) and I'd say I have about 1/2g a day evap. With more lights/fans etc I can see where 2g a day is very possible. :dunno:

on the 75 i have a 175 and a 250 mh, with 4 54 watt t5s, also have 2 small 4incha wal mart heavy duty fans. the 40 has a 250 with a 4 inch fan as well, and if my tank gets over 82 i have a fan that blows on the sump.