how do i know if my toadstool is dieing???

jck9

it wasattached to the same rock as my finger leather and they were battleing for space so i cut it off the rock and sewed it to another rock in the tank. i did this about three or four days ago. it is significantly smaller and slimeing. the pollups start to come out but never do. will i know if it is dieing? should i not have cut it off its original rock?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Leathers are very hardy and if it's not disintegrating I would leave it. If it's not happy it won't show polyp extension sometimes for several days to even longer.

mps9506

Leathers can take a while to recover after fragging. Keep an eye on it. If it starts "melting" I would remove it. But they are generally very hardy and can stay closed for days or even weeks and then reopen like nothing ever happened.

ReefLady

Staff member
Could be shedding as well. Just keep an eye out for "melting" as Mike said. They're hardy buggers... you'll probably have to try a lot harder than this to kill one. ;)

Jorgens

great thread! I got mine 3 weeks ago and hase'nt shwon polyps yet....I was about to ask the same question....

ReefLady

Staff member
3 weeks seems a little long. Was it a frag or wild-collected? Has it shed (gets glossy on the cap, thena layer of skin comes off)? You might want to try increasing flow a bit.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What does it mean to "shed" for this animal? Is this more like when the dark stringy stuff comes slipping off but the animal itself remains in tact? My devils finger is doing that right now. It looks wilted but the actual skin looks intact with some leathery stuff trailing off in the current. Hopefully this is "Shedding" and not wilting!

????

Allen

mps9506

Usually some type of slimey or waxy type substance starts coming off of it and it remains closed for a few days up to a a couple of weeks. Melting looks, well like melting, like someone heated it up and it started melting like candle wax.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Shedding is just a thin top layer of the coral; melting is the entire coral desintegrating and soon rotting.

Kirblit

When I fragged my toadstool it shrunk about 60% and was closed up for quite a few days before it opened up again, I'm with everyone else, they are very hardy and it will probobly be fine.

murkywaters

It took our finger leather a good month to polyp out after our crash. In fact it just came completely back in the last few days. It shed a few days ago and Danny vacuumed (using a water tube not a vacuum cleaner) it off and the leather polyped out and looks great. I wouldn't get nervous yet. Our other leather came back sooner. Our toad stool took two to three weeks.