How do I increase the copepod population?

csmsss

I've just acquired an established reef tank and after several 3 am tank checks I've come to the conclusion that there are few, if any, copepods in the tank. I'm reluctant to add any more live rock to this tank and am wondering if there is any way to increase the copepod population? There are only a few fish in the tank, and no predatory corals, so I'm quite confused as I would expect there to be *many* of the little critters. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sometimes when a tank "matures" for various reasons the "Pod" population will dwindle. You can add "Chaeto", Rock Rubble, or possibly some sand from a tank with LOTS of pods. Or you can go to your LFS and buy a bottle of "Tiger Pods". Put them into your tank and they will grow and grow and grow.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
add a refigium...and how do you there's no pods...just because you cant see them dont mean that they arent there :)

csmsss

add a refigium...and how do you there's no pods...just because you cant see them dont mean that they arent there :)
I'm not saying there aren't any there, only that I haven't seen any in several nocturnal visits to the tank and I would like there to be more.

oldsaint

Just a couple of my thoughts. :)
I've just acquired an established reef tank
Was the tank just recently moved? If so, I'm sure you lost some during that but not to worry they will come back quickly.

after several 3 am tank checks
LOL I remember the first time someone caught me in my tank with a red flash light.

I'm reluctant to add any more live rock
If the tank is stable and the rock is truly "cured" then I would say add it. It will bring it's own pods to add to the system.

There are only a few fish in the tank
Any of them predators of pods?

DAHansen

Any of them predators of pods?

Excellent question. I was thinking the same thing. I had until recently a Fairy Wrasse that ate pods as often as it could find them. I think he decimated my podulation. I'm waiting to see if it comes back - or maybe he "naturally selected" the braver/careless pods into extinction in my tank.

csmsss

Here are the fish in the tank:

Small (2") maroon clownfish
small (1.5") blue-green chromis
2x small (2") yellow tail damsel
medium-large (3.5") black-striped angel
6 line wrasse

None of those are what I'd describe as voracious, though I suppose anything's possible. I'm a little suspicious of the wrasse, but that one never picks at the rocks during the day.

The problem with adding rock is that it's a fairly small tank (29 gallons) and there isn't a lot of open area in the tank to add any more. I'm also not sure I have enough circulation in the tank to add another sizable piece of rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd just either;

A) Add a refugium (Great idea if you can make it work)
B) Buy Tiger Pods and add them to the tank.

jnohs

i have a huge pop of pods. mainly because i dont have any fish and large rock rubble pile and a hob refiguem with cheto and more rock rubble. i have tons of pods now.

jnohs

almost any fish will cause a dwindling of pods. especially if there are no safe haves. aka cheto, rockrubble or hob refigume.

corrado007

I agree with the posts and suggestions so far. From my own experience I can tell you that a refugium is the place where the pods will really thrive. If I look in my display tank I don't see too many pods, you really have to look and still you don't see all that many. If you look in the fuge where I've got Chaeto, rock rubble, LS, and a few lbs of LR, there are quite a few pods.

Just for fun I'll show you a video of my fuge I just took the other day. I actually already posted this in my chronicle yesterday because I found it to be so crazy because of the burrowing pod but the point here is the amount of pods you can see in the video which are in the fuge and how few pods are in my display tank.

corrado007

Those guys eat anything and everything that moves and is smaller than they are don't they. Never had one but I've read that they eat all sorts of things.

csmsss

Thanks for all the replies! A refugarium or sump isn't really an option at the moment as there really isn't space (we're in a small apartment until we find the right house). Sounds like as long as I have the wrasse in the tank, there won't be many (if any) copepods to speak of anyway. I guess I'll just leave things as they are for now until we find a house and I can get a bigger tank with all the proper extras.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Can't you do a "Hang on Back" (HOB) refugium? Their cheap and VERY effective! I think it only takes up a few inches behind the tank itself.

Royalscott

Last week I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and bought a small high sided plastic holder from the kitchen section w/ suction cups on the back. There are slits on the front of it. I think its to hold SOS pad or plastic pot scrubbers. I stuck it on the side towards the back of the tank by the water outlet and filled it with chaeto that were full of pods. Not only has the water cleared up drastically, the mandarin looks much healthier and the 6 line wrasse stays away from it.

t_j

Last week I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and bought a small high sided plastic holder from the kitchen section w/ suction cups on the back. There are slits on the front of it. I think its to hold SOS pad or plastic pot scrubbers. I stuck it on the side towards the back of the tank by the water outlet and filled it with chaeto that were full of pods. Not only has the water cleared up drastically, the mandarin looks much healthier and the 6 line wrasse stays away from it.

Do you have a picture of it???

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Royalscott

Al, its in the kitchen section. What you posted is in the bath area and it has a metal bar around it.

The back is flat and it has a bow front. There are no holes on the bottom, only what you see on the front.

Attachments

• chaetoholder-1.jpg
    chaetoholder-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 22

csmsss

Thanks for the ideas! I thought the overflows were strictly for draining out to a sump. Goes to show what happens when you spend a few years out of the hobby. I'll look into these great ideas!