How do I get my fish to eat algae?

DanaJ104

I have a small hippo tang that I introduced into my dt from my quarantine tank yesterday. I know they need vegetation in their diet so I got sheets of algae in a pack at the lfs. I put some in my tank but none of my fish eat it. I have 2 clowns 3 bengai cardinals and the tang and they all just ignore it like they don't know its food. Is there some way I can get them to realize that it is food and eat it? I've used it in tanks before and my tangs always took right to it so I don't know what to do.

Let the tang settle in first. Yesterday is only one day, give him a couple to adjust to his new home. Let him prowl and see where his favorite part of the tank is at. Once he gets situated, maybe try putting a clip of sea algae where he is most often at. The clowns and cardinals wont eat the sheets. Also make sure the tang is eating by feeding it mysis, brine, or flakes. Best of luck

DanaJ104

He's super small so I've been giving him cyclops as suggested by my lfs. He's eating that just fine. I tried mysis but he can't get it in his mouth because its too big.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ah keep em fed. Whatever sounds good to him. He'll eat algae when he settles in. Lots of hiding spots would b a good idea.

Matt leaves out punctuation.

DanaJ104

Yeah I had one before so I'm familiar with the ick issue. That's why I wanted him in before I got any other fish besides the 5 I have in there. I figured less stress that way. I just love these guys despite the difficulties. I couldn't resist. I quarantined him for a while and he did great. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for now.

DanaJ104

It is a 75 and I know when they get big they need a larger tank than I have but I also know they usually grow pretty slowly so I'm hoping by then I'll be able to upgrade to a larger tank. The tang is only maybe the size of a quarter and that might be generous.

Built347

I just got a kole tang and aside from feeding it diatom tonght he wont touch any algae or seaweed.... He will tear up some cheap flake food though lol..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I feed every other day... but I keep Nori hung for my tang all the time - one huge key to keeping grazing fish like tangs health & able to fight of disease.

I add a few drops of Vitachem to every sheet, might give that a try & see it it helps, my tang loves it.

Boyd Vitachem 4 oz.

tnwillia

I had a problem with my grazers not likeing the color (I think) of the feeding clip I was using. I found some clear ones and they jumped at the sheets. Have fun!

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Try getting a piece of pvc then get a sheet of algae get it wet wrap around the pvc then let air dry then put in tank.

Built347

I had a problem with my grazers not likeing the color (I think) of the feeding clip I was using. I found some clear ones and they jumped at the sheets. Have fun!

Haha.. that's funny... about a month ago I was looking for one and all that particular lfs had was a shark one.... the clip part itself was a picture of a shark with its mouth open and teeth out.. lol wtf.. somebody wasn't thinking..

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk