How Do I Get a Blind Puffer to Eat?

Lorelei

(I don't know if this is the right place to post this. Please bear with me.)

I've had my porcupine puffer for almost a year and he's been healthy and happy until now.

I recently have a power outage and when the power came back on, the filter in my tank did not. I didn't notice until I saw my other fish gasping at the top. I immediately got the filter going again and put an extra bubbler in there to get the water oxygenated again. Well, all my fish went back to normal fairly quickly, but my puffer stayed at the bottom breathing heavily for for two days. He wouldn't eat and he was lethargic. His fins turned yellow for a little while too and his pupils were shaped funny (like ovals instead of circles).

Now, he's a little better; he swims around a little, his fins are whitish again, as his pupils are circles, and he's no longer breathing heavy, but it's clear that either he can't see at all, or he can see very little. His eyes move like he's looking around and he seems to move away from the shadow of my hand, but he bumps into things sometimes and he no longer looks at me through the glass like he used to. It's been about 4 days since I turned the filter back on.

I've fed the other fish brine shrimp and I know he can smell it and that he's hungry because he gets very excited when I put it in, but I don't know how to get him to eat. I usually feed him bits of squid, but he won't take it. I tried putting it by his mouth, but he doesn't know it's food. I've even corralled him toward the top of the tank and tried to get him to take it where he couldn't swim away from it, but it doesn't work. He'll bite it a little, but he won't actually eat it.

Is there any suggestions anyone can give me? Any other food or methods I can try? I'm getting desperate. I love that little guy. I'd be heartbroken if he starved to death.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did the puffer get better? Did it die? I've seen similar cases on the internet, but none of them ever explain past the point of their puffers starting to swim around again.

I'm so worried. Please help?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear about this bad situation. Hopefully some other members will chime in with an answer. The only thing I can think of is adding garlic to the food, but let's see what others think.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
We have fed a blind puffer before - we used the large, dried Krill with some selcon and garlic soaked into it. Worked for us and hopefully it will work for you!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope the garlic/selcon soaked food makes your puffer better.
I just fed my fish garlic soaked mysis shrimp for a few days because I noticed my Golden Midas Blenny had an apparent eye injury. Happy to say, it only lasted a couple of days & his eye looks completely back to normal now.
I hope you will do a follow up to this thread in a few days to let us know. Also it might help someone else.
Sure hope for a positive outcome for your puffer.

Paul B

Going blind is very common for puffers, I have had 3 or 4 that went blind but they all recuperated. Sometimes you just have to just grab the fish and if he does what puffers do, he will try to inflate. When he does that, you have to have a piece of clam on a tooth pick to stick in it's mouth. If you are lucky, he will swallow it as they have a hard time re gurgitating food if they get it down far enough and they are not thinking about food while they are inflating. If it is a male, they are most likely thinking about a nice looking female pufferfish with no ties or baggage. So they won't notice you shoving clams down their throat. If they do not inflate as you grab him, remove him from the water, they hate that and will start to inflate, but if they do, stick him back in the water and shove a clam down his throat.
Don't let him bite you as they have a love for fingers, I know he will eat that.
This guy I collected and after a while he went blind for a couple of months. I had to feed him as I mentioned and after a while he aced his driving test.
He grew to large and I gave him to a public aquarium where he trained seeing eye dogfish.

Oxylebius

I don't know anything about the blindness issue with puffers, but I do know that their teeth continue to grow and become an issue with getting in the way of feeding over time. If you can get your puffer to eat and healed, consider providing your puffer with small snails to eat in the future (the hard shells help to keep the puffers teeth from over growing, keeps them ground down).

Good luck and keep us posted - PSU4ME is providing sound advice.

Lorelei

He won't eat the soaked food. I think he's thinking that it's someone harassing him or something because if I move it down to his face too many times, he spits at it. I tried letting it just sit close to him and seeing if he would sniff it out, but he didn't seem to notice at all. I even tried just sticking it right in his mouth once, but all he did was let it sit there. :(

I'm kind of scared to do it, but I think I'll try your advice, Paul. Anything to get him to eat. Did the sight return to the blind puffers you had in the past?

He was fed small shelled fish before as well, Oxylebius. But his teeth really aren't the issue currently. I can't even get him to eat soft foods. :/

Paul B

The sight returned to all my blind puffers, it is a common problem for them and their sight returned in a maybe 2 weeks. But you have to feed them

Choff

Hey Paul great advice. I'm just trying to picture how you came up with this technique......

"That's it, I've had it! You will eat! ", Pauls hand thrusts into the tank grabs the puffer and angrily stabs a toothpick loaded with squid down the his throat.

Am I close?? :D

...stupid auto correct

Hey Paul great advice. I'm just trying to picture how you came up with this technique......

"That's it, I've had it! You will eat! ", Pauls hand thrusts into the tank grabs the puffer and angrily stabs a toothpick loaded with squid down the his throat.

Am I close?? :D

...stupid auto correct

I honestly laughed out loud on this.... could almost picture it in my mind :thumbup:

Paul B

I'm just trying to picture how you came up with this technique

That is simple. My tank used to be brackish with archerfish, mono's bumblebee gobies and scats but I also had a figure 8 puffer. I kept adding more salt and eventually, in a few months the tank became full salt just when salt water fish (blue devils) became available. My puffer developed a large lump on his belly and after a while he was having trouble swimming evenly so I had to operate. First of course I had to see if his insurance covered a lumpectomy and luckily for him, it did. So I removed him and put him in some wet cotton, let him bite on a bullet and with a scalpel I sliced through his belly and scraped out the tumor. It was as large as a pea which is big as the fish was only about 2" or a little less, It was a long time ago and I forget. At that time there was no Crazy Glue and I don't remember stitching him up so I think I just let him heal. When I put him back in the tank, he would just lay there pitifully. He would not swim eat or play the piano. So I lifted him from the water and he would try to inflate which was hard with a hole in his belly. But I managed to get food into him and every time I fed him like that which was twice a day I would swab some mercurochrome on his wound. In a few days he was somewhat healed and he started to swim. I hand fed him for a week or two like that and that fish went on to live (I think) 12 more years. It could have been 8 (as I said,I forget) But I had him for a number of years in my full salt tank with my domino's, sergeant majors and of course blue devils which were spawning. After this successful surgery I was called quite a few times to perform surgery for varying reasons. Once I had to go to a wholesaler to remove a large tumor from the mouth of a green moray eel. Those things are nasty and the most slimy thing you could ever try to hold on to and they have lousy insurance with a high co pay.
I have a picture of that puffer someplace but that was on film. Film is like Scotch Tape but pictures stick to it.
Here are those blue devil eggs circa 1971

And here is the proud Father over his nest in that barnacle shell. This was one of the first saltwater fish to spawn in captivity that I know of.

I forgot, if you feed the fish out of the water, which I don't recommend, you have to burp it. No, really.

Oxylebius

Yeah, agree w/Paul. Best NOT to feed the puffer out of water, you don't want it gulping air (you would need to massage the belly to get the air out - really).

Paul B

It's just a little operation, don't you guys operate on your fish?

Now if I could get my hair to grow

Lorelei

I did manage to get some food in him!! Thank you Paul!!! I could kiss you!!!! I was able to get him to eat a piece of squid once when he puffed up and he took it down, but he didn't puff up again even if I raised him out of the water. I ended up waiting a while for him to relax and getting a really narrow dropper. I feeding him a mix of frozen brine shrimp and liquid vitamins. I used the same method and he eat almost all of them.

His eye sight seems to be improving a tiny bit. Tonight I watched him awhile and he was moving his eyes around a bit, so I tried moving around the tank to see if he would notice. It took him a minute to register it, but every time I moved, he would slowly tilt himself in my direction. I tired several times from several different angles and he did it every time, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. :D