How do I clean my 130D?

oceanicmike

What is the best way to clean my red sea 130d filtration system? Tank has been running for about 2 months now. Other then cleaning the skimmer regularly and a water change I haven't cleaned the filter media, carbon or filter sponge yet. I'm assuming I turn everything off of course first. Should I remove the media and clean in saltwater or fresh? I have read either on different forums. Depending on tank size and amount of live rock.

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here what I did...

I would lightly rinse the carbon (or cpe, purigen, whatever you run) in the change water before dumping during a weekly water change if it was been 2 months now, just a light rinse.

all sponges & filters, I would take to the sink & rinse under warm running tap water, shake dry & replace- weekly, if not more frequently

the bio-rings/noodles, I would also rinse like the sponges ^ if you run them, many don't - your LR serves are your biofilter

hope this helps

slakker

Here's what I did, I took all the filter media, carefully drained it and dried it... then chucked them in the garbage! LOL!... I only run skimmer... :)

slakker

I run a 9002 in the RSM, but also a 9011 in a 90G... the instruction says to run/rinse it in vinegar water once a year which is easy to so. Also, once you lift the collector cup, the tunze self flushes, so once a year is good enough.