How difficult is it to create designer clownfish?

Phixer

The trend seems to be designer Clownfish now. Very expensive, was wondering how hard it actually is to breed them and create these patterns.

Do you have a ready source of radioactive material to spur mutation? lol... sorry, just joking of course.

I've not seen much on the subject. Plenty of books on breeding nem fish though, maybe some data in there. My thinking would be if anyone found an "easy" way, they'd guard it like the colonels original recipe :wave:

You don't only get designer Percs. Although I do have a pair of sunset clowns.

I have designer Clarkii........they look like they are wearing blue eye shadow lol.

Phixer

"Do you have a ready source of radioactive material to spur mutation? lol... sorry, just joking of course. "

Probably myself, :snshne: LOL, funny you should ask. I soaked up enough of it when I was living in Japan closeby Fukushima in 2011. Operation Tomadachi disaster relief.

GSE or GSM?

Last edited:

DaveK

Perhaps the question should be, why do you want to breed designer clownfish?

If your thinking of making a lot of money, I'd say your chances of that are remote. It's not unusual to have only a few really good fish out of a whole spawn.

Before you worry about any of the exotic varieties, set your self up for breeding them, and then breed a few generations of normal clowns. If you can do that, then you can try your hand at one of the designer types of clowns.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on such a project.

Phixer

Im not really sure I do unless a decent profit could be made. Just at the information gathering stage now. When I see the prices that breeders are charging for them (very expensive) it translates to an under developed market with opportunity to breed and sell for much less. Supply and demand I suppose. It would be nice to provide the same fish to more people for less money. So... Im thinking it might be worth looking into since they are one of the few species that can be sustained with captive breeding providing it is done the right way with good husbandry practices.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Read the link I post above... Doni (Woodstock) has forgot more about the subject than most will ever learn ;) below is a link to her store with with more info... she has been recognized as a top breeder & won several awards - long time founding RS member & past Admin here... a wealth of info on the subject.

Reef! Home of the Snowcasso®!
http://donisreef.com/

woodstock.gif