How deep is everyones sand?

screemer

Mine has gone to 1cm in parts due to the snails abut 2-2.5 in others?? is this ok? Or does it need to be deeper? Also, can you add sand after a while on top of the old stuff?

Nowellsy SNR

Im not sure how deep mine is but i like the look off deepish sandbeds, and yes you will be fine adding extra sand i've done it a few times with no harm to the tank

imaccat

Over the last few days I have added an additional 30lbs of aragonite sand to my tank without any problems - so far!

I've tested the water and also did a water change after I added the last lot and everything seems ok.

I rinsed the new substrate pretty well before hand and the cloudiness cleared up after a few hours (running the fine filter and checking it regularly)

I think that gives me about 2-2.5" overall

David Shaw

2 inches or so. I top up with new live sand periodically, replacing what i loose through the syphoning over time.

Adding a bag of live sand every few months has not had a detrimental affect to my tank at an time.

tnwillia

Mine started at 2.5" end to end. Now it can be anywaere from .5" to 6" in spots depending on my Pistol shrimp and BSJf construction projects. Have fun!

Dash10

My sandbed is about 5 - 6 inches all around. I wanted to go for a DSB as I heard great things about them.... plus, I like the look of the CaribSea oolite fine grain sand versus the stock stuff the RSM came with.

Haven't had any problems and I do believe it has contributed to stable parameters in my tank.