how big of a pump?

erawling

I want to set up my tank in the living room after its redone.
I plan on having the sump, protein skimmer,refuguim,ect in the basement.
The pumps i have been looking at will pump 12ft head at aprox 132gph.
THe tank thats to be set is only a 30gal.Is this to much flow though a 30gal tank?
Has anyone done a build like this?
Any recommendations??
I think having the sump in the basment will help maintain a steady temp year round.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Exactly how far is it from the Sump back over the top of the tank... I would guess 12' may not be enough to get the job done. 132gph sounds VERY low. I have a 90g and my return pump is rated at 1350 gph at the current head height and it's not enough for My liking!! I think you're going to need more pump with a larger head allowance etc.

Having the sump and stuff in the basement is a GREAT idea and one I like to do as well.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
you could use pressure pumps like a the Reeflo pumps but on a 30 it is alot of $ to get the flow needed

Triggerjay

I have to agree to disagree Jack...:) I have both an iwaki, and a sequence.. the sequence doesn't like a high head at all....I think they are more about volume..

Jason

NCguy

WiseGuy
I have to agree to disagree Jack...:) I have both an iwaki, and a sequence.. the sequence doesn't like a high head at all....I think they are more about volume..

Jason

That depends on which sequence you're talking about. They make pumps for volume yes but they also have a line of pumps to handle a higher head pressure. Check out the Manta Ray and Tiger Shark.

erawling

Ok i ordered the pump today,
I got a turbo-sea pump it will do 790gph at 16 ft head.
I did a little reteach on pumps.in a situation where you need to pump up you need a pressure pump not a circulation pump the pump i got is built to handle pressures like high head and inline filters.
The total distance of head iam going to have is 9.5 feet so i think iam going to be ok and i may have to even turn it down a bit.:snshne:

Triggerjay

Sounds good! Although I would have LOVED to see a manta ray, or tiger shark hooked up to that 30g! that would have been a sight..

Jason

NCguy

WiseGuy
Sounds good! Although I would have LOVED to see a manta ray, or tiger shark hooked up to that 30g! that would have been a sight..

Jason

I didn't say that he should get one for his 30g...I was telling you to check them out because they offer more head pressure and not all sequence pumps are about volume. (although it would have been plenty of flow) :D