House fire....what to do with my well established RSM250 that has to be moved???

rgslady

Hi everyone, sorry for my long time absence. But I now have a real dilemma about having to relocate my rsm 250 so my floors can be repaired. I was the unfortunate victim of a house fire back on June 3rd. Most of the damage is in the bathroom where it started, but my hardwoods suffered water damage and will need to be repaired. The tank is well established, I finally got my radions hanging and everything is doing so well. It absolutely breaks my heart to have to mess with it. So I am looking for any suggestions on how to handle this situation. Thanks to all.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I assume u have a location picked out for the move? Do u have a clean trashcan and 5 gallon buckets? Do u have another small qt tank to temporarily move ur stock? And an extra heater n powerhead?

..........used coral frags. half off.

N83259

Sorry to hear About your bad luck. If the temporary location is reasonably near by the move, it could be pretty quick with plenty of buckets/tubs on hand with some man power. If you need help moving the stand & tank, the insurance policy may provide for professional movers for the tank plus your other furniture. I imagine you'll have more important things to do, but if you want to change your aquascape, sand bed, etc., this would be the time. Best wishes!

rgslady

Got all kinds of buckets and equipment. Just really trying to avoid recycling the tank. I don't want to start over what took me so long to establish. I am hoping to try pulling out about 30 gal of the water to be able to physically move the thing.

dmatt88

Oh. Pull everything out before the move. Don't move a tank full or a quarter full. Empty including the sand n move. Its cool. The wives tales on moving sand is a lie. Let me know when ur ready to.move. it'll b cool. Ask Devon n dean. No sweat. Pm if interested in my routine.

tinctorus

Hi everyone, sorry for my long time absence. But I now have a real dilemma about having to relocate my rsm 250 so my floors can be repaired. I was the unfortunate victim of a house fire back on June 3rd. Most of the damage is in the bathroom where it started, but my hardwoods suffered water damage and will need to be repaired. The tank is well established, I finally got my radions hanging and everything is doing so well. It absolutely breaks my heart to have to mess with it. So I am looking for any suggestions on how to handle this situation. Thanks to all.
Just out of curiosity was it our wifes fault? I only ask because my wife has a tendency to ALWAYS leave her freaking straightening iron turn on and then leave the house, I cant even count how may times I have went to brush my teeth in the morning only to burn the crap out of myself on a ridiculously hot iron

sk8rdn

dmatt88 said:
Oh. Pull everything out before the move. Don't move a tank full or a quarter full. Empty including the sand n move. Its cool. The wives tales on moving sand is a lie. Let me know when ur ready to.move. it'll b cool. Ask Devon n dean. No sweat. Pm if interested in my routine.

+1!
RSM tanks crack on their own, let alone when moved with (unsteady) weight in them....

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

rgslady

No...fire was caused by ceiling exhaust fan/light combo, which apparently had been burning up in the attic unnoticed, until it melted the plastic light cover, which in turn, caught the rug on fire. This is what set off the smoke alarm.

Wondering if there are professional services out there that could take care of this tank move? I know the insurance would cover the cost. I am in Massachusetts if anyone can recommend someone.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Contact some of the LFS in the area. Most of the ones down here will move a tank for about $100.

tekjunkie28

No...fire was caused by ceiling exhaust fan/light combo, which apparently had been burning up in the attic unnoticed, until it melted the plastic light cover, which in turn, caught the rug on fire. This is what set off the smoke alarm.

Wondering if there are professional services out there that could take care of this tank move? I know the insurance would cover the cost. I am in Massachusetts if anyone can recommend someone.

Well I see these fans still causing fires... I thought they fixed that ? Never knew about the issues with these fans until my ex's dad told me about them. He was a volunteer firefighter. I still use mine but I assume the main issue is dust. Guys take the 5 mins to clean them out. Btw did u have a regular incandescent bulb in it?

dmatt88

The tank move is pretty easy with a few people. However if u call it lfs they can probably direct u to someone. If u live close I can b there tomorrow afternoon. I've moved dozens.

..........who wants a cold one.

bobalob5

when relocating a tank that is up and running or established, it is most important to keep all water and filter materials to maintain water that all livestock is accustomed to. Most livestock inc inverts and coral can survive a good few hours without light (they do overnight anyway) the battle comes with fish and temprature if in buckets for more than a couple of hours. relocating within the same louse should not be to difficult. Remember once rock and coral are in buckets of tank water it is then easier to net livestock.Salt buckets are best from local fish supplier as they have sealable lids.

Bob