Hood open and closed?

Do most people leave their hood closed or open? Does anyone with an RSM130 have heat problems? My heater is currently completely turned off, i have 0 live stock, water full, 2 stock circulation pumps and one maxijet1200 in the display and the temperature climbs as the day progresses. It started at 80.3 today and then the lights went on and now it's 83.5 and climbing. Even with the feed lid open, it wasn't controlling much.

Does the water cooling fan in the back that the 130Ds come with make that much of a difference or do people leave their hoods open during the day? I fee like im missing something here. I cant think of any other heat sources other than the pumps and lights. It seems to be a greenhouse effect and trapping heat with the lid closed.

Room temp is 74. I cant imagine what problems i'll run into during the summer.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Enclosed hoods do trap heat, but it seems like it's running hotter than I'd expect. That little cooling fan should drop it 1-2 degrees (with more topoff needed). Propping the skimmer flap open a bit may help. If you get the fan, pop out the oblong plastic piece in back (chiller access port, if it's still in place) - that will give the air blown by the fan a place to escape. Pop it out even without the fan - it won't hurt.

Does the temp drop a lot if you shut the skimmer pump off overnight? I think this was a used RSM? It could be the skimmer pump is running hot due to age.

Just some ideas. :)

I would think about getting a chiller before you put anything in the tank. I have the JBJ 1/15HP Mini-Arctica. Keeps the water right where you want it +/- 1°F .

Actually im not even running the stock skimmer! I ordered a Tunze and just waiting on that. The skimmer would add even MORE heat so this is only with a closed hood, 2 stock circulation pumps and a mj1200. Heater off too.
I also got rid of that little plastic piece you speak of Reefmack haha
Im going to leave it on until I go to sleep just to see exactly how high it can get without me interfering.. so far I saw 84 degrees.

I actually also have a JBJ 1/15th Arctica chiller (not installed yet) but and am holding off because my main concern is I dont want to overrun the chiller cause it'll cause heat in the living room and be wasting energy. It'd be nicer to find out what's causing this problem, eliminate it and then install the chiller so it only turns on very once in a while. :/ But then again I might just have to use it.

thebeast, how often do you hear your chiller kicking in? whats your temperature stable at? 78?

I'm ready for livestock but i definitely am holding off until there's some stability in my tank. Wouldn't want to fry all the new fishies...

Dash10

Thought I'd just share my experience... I live in Toronto, Ontario, and summer temperatures typically soar into the 90s during the summer months. I do not have a chiller and while I do run the A/C during heatwaves, I have had to leave the front portion of my hood open many times to ensure this thing doesn't overheat. I was lucky last summer because the weather sucked, but I anticipate having to go through the same motions once again this summer. I also run the cooling fan 24/7.

Mine is on probably 15-30 min's every hour or two. After all I read about the noise with chillers this one is very quiet. I can barley tells when it goes on. I have it set to 76. It will go on at about 77 and turn off at 75.5. The room during the day is anywhere from 73 to 78. My problem started when I added a sump with a Mag-Drive 500 return pump. Before that it would stay near 78 after it was going up to 85. Don't know why yours is going up so high being stock. I also have two mj900 running in the tank but cant say if they raise the temp with the chiller running.

This is going to be a problem. My house gets over 90 here during the summer. Last summer in cali, it was in the 100's. Agh

thanks for the info thebeast. Any reason you need the temp so low? just preference?

the temps hit 85 and are currently going up. I am wondering if my fans are not cooling the hood enough. There are 2 on the right side that I replaced and they are both working but the left side of the hood gets really hot to the touch. Wonder if it's possible to add a third fan in the hood from the same power outlet of the other 2?

EDIT:

Which side of the fan is supposed to face outward (i.e facing the vent) and which side is supposed to face inward towards the lights? (the hood fans on the right side of the tank)

I am maybe starting to wonder if i put them on in the wrong direction and its not cooling the lights properly and overheating the tank? All I could come up with so far..

Quiet Case Fan
In the image in this link, the fan is shown with the label facing the viewer. Is THAT side is supposed to face, outward toward the vents.... or inward toward the lights? And I am assuming the direction of air flow is from the vent to the lights, not an exhaust fan.

(not the same RSM130 fans but for the sake of the question)

I don't think anyone has every actually called me thebeast before.

I like to keep the tank cooler. I know most people keep they tank warmer but my fish and coral seem to like the cooler temp. I first tried it because I have heard it can help with algae blooms, control diseases, and increase dissolved oxygen. Its funny the average temp on a coral reef is about 87 yet I don't think anyone would keep there tank that warm.

I do belive the rsm label should be facing away from the lights. At least that's the way mine came and have always been.

dizzyg

I would go for a chiller. RSM are known for heat and there's not much you can do about it at all.
Leaving the hood open will cause a lot of evaporation which is annoying, your climate is close to mine and before I had a chiller and was running with the hood open I was losing about 25l of water a week which means lots and lots of top-ups, hood closed and chiller running I'm doing about 3l of top off a week. Haven't even bothered to set up my ATO :p

I don't think anyone has every actually called me thebeast before.

I like to keep the tank cooler. I know most people keep they tank warmer but my fish and coral seem to like the cooler temp. I first tried it because I have heard it can help with algae blooms, control diseases, and increase dissolved oxygen. Its funny the average temp on a coral reef is about 87 yet I don't think anyone would keep there tank that warm.

I do belive the rsm label should be facing away from the lights. At least that's the way mine came and have always been.

Good point, i did actually hear something about algae and disease control with lower temperature. Gotta read up on that more i guess.

I think i may have found the problem hopefully. I opened up the hood and had the fans both facing inward. :columbo: Could explain the heat and how its all tied to the stupid lights. Will update again tomorrow and hopefully then install the chiller

redsea reefer

The hood cooling fans are exhaust fans, so when you put your hand next to the vents, you should feel hot air coming out.

My skimmer flap has been removed and front flap is open when the tank starts to get hot but I set up a net covering the opening because I have a few jumpers in the tank. The little cooling fan in the back is on 24/7 also...

TonyV

One - where in California are you located? Must be somewhere near Eddie seeing how you are a Bruin fan. If your in Norcal I can try and help.

thanks all. tonyv, i'm in socal at the cusp of orange and LA county. I ended up opening up the hood and both fans were pointed IN.. lol
I changed them as out and do feel hot air coming out the side vent so I'm hoping after today's trial run the problem will be fixed.