Hole in leather?

Jess

I noticed yesterday that my favorite coral, my yellow leather, has a hole in the base of it, and I can see the rock through/underneath. Like most of us, I study my tanks and livestock regularly (ok perhaps obsessively!), so I can't imagine it's been there long? Not sure... I took a pic of it, as well as a full shot of the leather. Just want to hear your thoughts, I'd be so, so sad if this was a "bad sign". Thanks!

0819091624.jpg

0819091624a.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jess someone else had this exact same problem (at least I think so) recently. I don't have a suggestion but hopefully someone will chime in shortly.

:)

Jess

Oh man, ok, thanks Al.

If my leather goes down I'm going down with it!!!!!!!!!:drown: :tears:

Jess

This is what it looks like now! What on earth... It still looks happy so I don't know, just curious I guess?

0909091631.jpg

cbrownfish

There is a type of worm and a type of snail that are leather predators. I would pull out this leather and look for the culprit. It is most likely burrowed inside.....perhaps a late night investigation will reveal something.

Al is right though, there was a thread in the last 6 months about a similar case an the individual found a worm burrowing in the tissue.

Midnight

Mine started to loose tissue a few months ago and I had to take a power head and point it right at it and I took super glue and glued all around the part were the tissue was being eaten away. Its a idea if you don't find anything that might be eating it.

Sapphire

I have to say to start out with, that I don't have much experience with these. i have one that I'm just starting with that I got as a tiny frag (it's now attched and growing.

I do notice on the second photo there's a kind of line across the base - what is that? I also see the amount of tearing/detachment has increased so I'm wondering if perhaps (apart from any other action that people can suggest) it might be good to frag this coral in case the whole doesn't make it - especially as the head section looks good and healthy and it is a lovely coral.

All the best with it!

Jess

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will try to investigate late tonight when the lights have been off for several hours. A worm is a good possibility. I used to have bristle worms but now that I think of it I haven't seen any in some time. Actually, would a 6-line eat bristle worms? Seems the timing is "right" since I've seen the worms last. Anyways if it is a worm that means I have to capture it!? Crap!

Sapphire, I've noticed that "line" too. Not sure what it is. Almost looks like dead tissue being regrown since there is a color variance. All I know is this leather is by far my favorite coral so I hope it stays healthy! :bouncer:

proenca

centuries ago, I had the same problem.

very unfortunatly and despite my best efforts, the sarco succumbed.

i tried to cut off the part ( which seemed to be decaying ) , glued to a new rock, had some strong circulation ( to avoid decay / infection ) and the thing still vanished away.

I never knew if it was a parasitic infection / fungus or a worm that was eating it.

The other soft corals were fine and a couple of months after ( I thought that if it was a worm that was feeding on it would die from starvation ) introduced another one and it was fine.

Best of luck on yours

Jess

centuries ago, I had the same problem.

very unfortunatly and despite my best efforts, the sarco succumbed.

i tried to cut off the part ( which seemed to be decaying ) , glued to a new rock, had some strong circulation ( to avoid decay / infection ) and the thing still vanished away.

I never knew if it was a parasitic infection / fungus or a worm that was eating it.

The other soft corals were fine and a couple of months after ( I thought that if it was a worm that was feeding on it would die from starvation ) introduced another one and it was fine.

Best of luck on yours

:waa:

cbrownfish

That line is common. I have a large Sinularia and it has the same dividing line. Think of it as a root (below) and trunk (above).

Jess

Well the hole finally snapped and I can see the root in there still. The whole leather seems to look bigger though so maybe this isn't a tragedy after all?

0914091633.jpg

0914091832.jpg

This is an older pic of it

0819091624a.jpg

proenca

Hi Jess,

Yesterday I was browsing CORALS from Boreman and I was looking at the sarcophyton section and had a text insert about tissue necrosis and how to deal with it.

I remembered this thread because I think its what happening to you.

Glad that you coral recovered - later on when I get home, I will make a quotation from the book.

molsen187

this is just a question since i have no experience with these coral. could it just be top heavy and kind of ripping off the rock. just a thought.

Jess

Hi Jess,

Yesterday I was browsing CORALS from Boreman and I was looking at the sarcophyton section and had a text insert about tissue necrosis and how to deal with it.

I remembered this thread because I think its what happening to you.

Glad that you coral recovered - later on when I get home, I will make a quotation from the book.

Great thank you proenca!

Jess

this is just a question since i have no experience with these coral. could it just be top heavy and kind of ripping off the rock. just a thought.

Yep molsen, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I think that is what's happening. I mean it just makes too much sense. But now I just don't really know what to do about that? I don't have much experience with these either, so hopefully someone will have an idea.... :chair:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got 3 of them and they don't do this at all. Sometimes before "Lights ON" they are literally doubled over slumping/slouching but I don't see any "fracture" or anything like that.