Hi all am new to marine fish

Adrian green

Hi I am new to all off this I have just getting into marine fish and could do with a bit help if anyone can help. I have just getting a a sand sifter starfish and when I put it in my tank its went under my sand and not come out or moved is that normal.

Last edited:

mr_tap_water

Welcome to RS
When you have time why not tell us all about your tank and lots of pictures to.[emoji846]

With your starfish They do go under the sand also to climb up The glass as well if you think May not be alive and you can see where it is try placing it back on top of the sand if it's healthy it should start to move within a few seconds if it don't move within 10 minutes it's more unlikely dead but hopefully it's not.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian green

Welcome to RS
When you have time why not tell us all about your tank and lots of pictures to.
emoji846.png

With your starfish They do go under the sand also to climb up The glass as well if you think May not be alive and you can see where it is try placing it back on top of the sand if it's healthy it should start to move within a few seconds if it don't move within 10 minutes it's more unlikely dead but hopefully it's not.
emoji846.png

Welcome to RS
When you have time why not tell us all about your tank and lots of pictures to.[emoji846]

With your starfish They do go under the sand also to climb up The glass as well if you think May not be alive and you can see where it is try placing it back on top of the sand if it's healthy it should start to move within a few seconds if it don't move within 10 minutes it's more unlikely dead but hopefully it's not.[emoji846]

Adrian green

I have moved my starfish to the top of the sand and it has went back under so it must just want to hide lol and do you no live rock I have only had my tank for about a month now and only a few things have come off it can you add stuff to the rock and will it grow off it

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

DaveK

... I have just getting a a sand sifter starfish and when I put it in my tank its went under my sand and not come out or moved is that normal.

It's movement is normal. That's why it's called a sand sifting star. You have another consideration. These stars eat the micro fauna in the sandbed, and as such require large, well established tanks. Otherwise, they will starve. See this article on them (offsite) - http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/sand-sifting-starfish-job-too-well-done-astropecten-4399/

You best course of action would be to return it to your LFS. They really should have never sold it to you.

Adrian green

It's movement is normal. That's why it's called a sand sifting star. You have another consideration. These stars eat the micro fauna in the sandbed, and as such require large, well established tanks. Otherwise, they will starve. See this article on them (offsite) - http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/sand-sifting-starfish-job-too-well-done-astropecten-4399/

You best course of action would be to return it to your LFS. They really should have never sold it to you.
Hi there my tank is only small so in a way the starfish is a good thing and a bad thing but more a bad thing for my tank because it will eat all the goodness out of my tank

mr_tap_water

It won't eat all the goodness out of the sand it's like a scavenger and that particular type of starfish is usually bought for a reason,
reason being shifting the sand which helps keep in the Sand bed from being clogged.

Adrian green

It won't eat all the goodness out of the sand it's like a scavenger and that particular type of starfish is usually bought for a reason,
reason being shifting the sand which helps keep in the Sand bed from being clogged.

So it should be fine in my tank or should I take it out like I said I am new to marine fish I have only had my tank about a month now I have 3 fish in it and some live rock and there is a few things growing off it

mr_tap_water

So it should be fine in my tank or should I take it out like I said I am new to marine fish I have only had my tank about a month now I have 3 fish in it and some live rock and there is a few things growing off it
Being your tank is so new I also don't believe it Won't survive very long I would wait a year before considering any starfish doesn't mean you can't have any it's just more likely they won't last very long and usually starve to death.

Adrian green

Being your tank is so new I also don't believe it Won't survive very long I would wait a year before considering any starfish doesn't mean you can't have any it's just more likely they won't last very long and usually starve to death.

OK thanks for your advice I will think about what I am going to do with it keep it or take it back