HH in my pods

Choff

I was a bit disappointed to find several of these guys in my latest order from getyourpods.com. they were mixed in the pods across several bags. I'm hoping I caught them all. I've emailed the company, but while I wait any idea what type of crab?

Oxylebius

8 legs and pointy claws.

Haha - you just identified all crabs!

Mike, can you get a better pic of the carapace (body) from the top and from the front. It might be too young still to be able to ID. Young crabs may not show different characteristics yet, so can be hard to determine.

Not sure where they get their pods from, but if they are collecting pods from the ocean, this will include crabs. Crabs have a life cycle that includes being in the plankton zone as larvae and juveniles, before settling out on the bottom of the ocean or other substrate.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
think he might be... a juvenile Porcelain Crab Pisidia longicornis ?

3607568766_8309412fa8.jpg

Choff

Its from getyourpods.com. I don't know if they grow their own pods or collect from the wild. I initially assumed porcelain or emerald because they also carry and sell those.

The crabs have been euthanized and discarded, so no additional pics. In hindsight I wish I tossed them in my sump to see what they grew into. That was the largest of the crabs and it was only slightly bigger than the largest pods.

Oxylebius

Well, it was a cute little thing, the eyes too big for its body, but would have grown into them.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Haha - you just identified all crabs!

Mike, can you get a better pic of the carapace (body) from the top and from the front. It might be too young still to be able to ID. Young crabs may not show different characteristics yet, so can be hard to determine.

Not sure where they get their pods from, but if they are collecting pods from the ocean, this will include crabs. Crabs have a life cycle that includes being in the plankton zone as larvae and juveniles, before settling out on the bottom of the ocean or other substrate.
I didn't think all crabs had 8 legs?? Doesn't the emerald have 6 and a set of claws?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Now you have me googling... and learning :clownfish:

Crabs belong to a group of animals called ‘Decapods’ – Meaning ‘10 legs’.

There are approximately 15,000 known species of decapods and more still are being discovered.

Interesting Facts and Information - Why is the Emerald Crab called an Arthropod? An Arthropod is an invertebrate animal (without a backbone) that has a segmented body with jointed limbs (appendages). True crabs are Decapod Crustaceans. Some species such as Hermit crabs, Porcelain crabs, King crabs and Horseshoe crabs are not true crabs! Decapod Crustaceans have five pairs of legs, the first three are used for feeding. At the end of the limbs are the chelae which is the correct term for pincers or claws.

Some great pics here...
http://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/arthropods/crabs/crabs.htm

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I was just joking with you. I thought that was funny, didn't realize you were serious about it.

Glenn, thanks for sharing the additional information.Some crabs even have modified back legs, paddle-like for swimming (like the blue crab that we like to eat)

Oxylebius

I always had a fascination with the ocean from a young age and was lucky enough to grow up near one in which I surfed. Got my open water scuba cert when a sophomore in high school and from there the learning never ended. marine biology education was the only way to go for me. now a days learning about it is as easy as a few key stroke clicks away...
:crab4: