Hey!

Copepod

Hello reefers, (heh reeferers)

I am a reef noob. I'm living in Asheville and going to school for a Bio degree.

My 8g Biocube is about 8 days old, with water. Copepods everywhere :snrkl: I've modified the back of my tank into a fuge with chaeto and a velcroed on light I made from lowes.

Ph- 8.1
NH4- 0 mg/L
NO2- 0 mg/L
NO3- 0-5 mg/L

Is this normal for an 8 day old tank? Suggestions? I started with pre-mixed water from the LFS. 7lbs of LR and some live sand. I added a shrimp pellet tonight to see if it would throw off the parameters.

Anyways, I look forward to meeting everyone. I am still learning for sure please feel free to push constructive criticism my way.

Thanks, and see ya'll in the forums!

...Hey BigAl

chipmunkofdoom2

Welcome! Yeah, those parameters are okay, but the cycle needs to be started. I'd say toss in a lot of shrimp pellets or a deli shrimp and let the cycle commence :)

Copepod

Welcome! Yeah, those parameters are okay, but the cycle needs to be started. I'd say toss in a lot of shrimp pellets or a deli shrimp and let the cycle commence :)

Tossed a shrimp pellet in earlier to see what would happen... should I toss a few more in there?

chipmunkofdoom2

Yup, that would work. The shrimp pellet or the deli shrimp will supply the ammonia needed to get a good, hard cycle, to ensure the tank will be ready for fish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yo Cope! Sup bro! Welcome to RS!

Yet another NC and even better Mountain Reefer!!

Get yourself a raw (unsoaked) deli shrimp and drop it in there. Drop it and forget it :)

Good to see you made it "over".

Allen :D