Hey there!

nsiebert

Hey! My name is Nicole and my husband Adam and I have just started our first tank. After over a month of having pet rocks :yup: all parameters we good and we started with our first additions. We already had a scarlet hermit, Halloween hermit, blue leg hermit, 2 other hermits that a friend started us with (we lost one this past week), and two turbo snails. Also a friend gave us a rock with green palys and green star polyp which we are going to let grow on the back of the aquarium. Last Saturday we added two clowns, a bubble tip anemone, and a cleaner shrimp. The clowns hosted in less than 24 hours. I couldn't believe it! The anemone gave me a huge scare Monday after we fed it Sunday. Apparently it was just "pooping". We are very excited about this new hobby and while it's a lot of work, it's a lot of fun to! We are enjoying learning about every part of it. I will have plenty of questions and I am so glad there is a place to ask them!

jpond210

Welcome to the hobby. I would return the anemone. You should let your tank get more established before adding one. If it dies and your not around it will nuke your tank.

Snid

Welcome Aboard, Matey!

I'm not going to say get rid of the Bubble Tip, but I will say jpond is right in that they fair better in well established tanks. And even then Anemones are not easy to keep, as they are fickle beasts. If you plan to keep it, you'll have to really stay on top of it for sure. I would take advantage of reading up on them as much as possible, and even reading the trials and failures others have had on these forums and others to get a good idea of what you're in for.

We would love to see pictures of your new tank! Once you get up to 5 posts, you can start posting some. Also, start a tank chronicle to log your tank's lifespan!

nsiebert

I have worried myself to death about this thing! We have a friend that has a tank and says if he starts showing problems he can hang out in his tank for a while. His has been going for years. The guy we bought him from is very reputable and after we told him about our levels and what everything was testing he thought it would be ok. I certainly don't want to lose all of the work we have put in the tank! Thanks for the advice.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS! Start a tank thread so we can follow your journey!! :swmfish:

nsiebert

I will definitely continue to research. I hate to pull him out but I certainly don't want to harm him or the tank. He seems to be doing pretty well. He did move a little to where the flow was better. I will monitor him and luckily if we see any changes one of our friends (who wasn't happy we bought one already) said we can let the rock hang out in one of his tanks until the tank is more established. Glad to have a place to get answers! Being a newbie to the hobby I have plenty of questions!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Nicole :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!:crowd:
Start a tank thread & Share pictures (you need 5 or more posts to share pictures) with us.
Would love to hear more about your tank...what size is it?
Very BEST WISHES...:biker

DaveK

... The guy we bought him from is very reputable and after we told him about our levels and what everything was testing he thought it would be ok. ...

In my opinion, anyone that would tell you that it's ok to put an anemone in a newly setup tank, and not tell you that it requires a long, well established tank, high quality water, and excellent lighting can hardly be considered "very reputable". I have terms I use to describe people like this, but I can not use them here because this is a family oriented site.

If you are going to try and keep it, you'll need to water you water conditions and the anemone very carefully, because if it dies, it can very easily take the rest of the tank with it.

Loganx

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome at this site. I am also new here. I join this community for get information about Reef Sanctuary and its related topics. Basically I am a traveler and visit Europe countries with yellowstone tours from salt lake city with my friends. I hope I will get some good things from this site