hey out there

kkrueg7

Hey guys I am glad that I joined I have read a lot of stuff on this site very helpful. First off the tank 55gl with marineland C-360 (carbon removed) 2 marineland 550 powerheads T-5HO lights 216 watts 50 pounds fiji live rock fine reef sand. The fish 2 false Percs 1 Sailfin Tang 1 Scooter Bleeny 1 Lawnmower bleeny 1 Vallentine puffer 1 Chocolate chip starfish 1 Carpet anemone 1 long spine sea urchin 1 hawiian feather duster misc snails and hermits. Corals some zoo polyps mushroom corals and 1 colt coral. The colt coral is the newest addition to the tank not doing good other corals have only been in tank 2 months and are doing fine. Hope to learn a lot more from this site thanks Kyle!!!!

kkrueg7

Need help with Colt coral I have had my coral is about a week and not looking good. My water seems to check out ph between 8.2 and 8.4 no nitrates or nitrites 0 amonnia frequent water changes since I've had the corals. Calcium and Alkalinity test on the way but think they should be ok since corals have not been in tank long. All other coarls are open and seem fine. The colt was ok for 2 days then it layed over and it has a couple of holes in it with a discharge holes are at the bottom of the coral. What can I do and can this discharge hurt the other occupants. I know it can if it is dead and decaying.

dianezoo

Hi Kkrueg7 Ive had colt corals look pretty bad then perk right up, but yours sounds like a problem I have never encountered. I think if you post your problem with this coral on the coral forum you may get a better resonse for someone with knowledge of what this could be.
Regards dianezoo

lcstorc

Is somebody pperhaps picking on it?
You have several "non reef safe" inhabitants that may have taken bites out of the coral.

Techno-Vicki

Colt corals are funny. If they are new, they may stay closed up for a while. If a fish brushes by it, it may close up partially. I have had them 'burn' under too strong lighting, slime up, and then a few weeks later come back. I would not bother 'dipping' them, or you will stress them again. Just put them under strong lighting and moderate flow, and then give it time. They are VERY hardy.