Help

Iheartcoral

I have a terrible problem with aiptasia anemones can anyone please tell me how to kill them before they kill any of my corals? I heard peppermint shrimp work is this true?

Oxylebius

A few articles that mention all the different options that you can take to control aiptasia:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/aiptasia-removal-whats-your-preferred-method
http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Aiptasia-Pests
http://www.ocreef.com/how_to_control_aiptasia_anemone

I prefer the pep shrimp option, but for the very large aiptasia I've had to resort to Aiptasia-x (and sometimes I've had to apply several times to the same lrg anemone). Aiptasia-x will bleach your coralline algae and kill any coral polyps, so be careful when applying to not get it on any of your corals, otherwise it is safe for your tank. It will take time to get rid of the aiptasia, and you may find one or two that missed your notice at first (behind rocks, etc.), be patient, eventually you will get them under control. It's not the end of the world having them. They can be managed.

Also, aiptasia are very hardy anemones. They may swell up when you first apply aiptasia-x, stay swelled for about a week, then recover. That is when I re-apply the aiptasia-x again. And sometimes a third time. For smaller aiptasia, aiptasia-x works well.

I've also found that my peppermint shrimp likes to go up and poke at the aiptasia anemones right after I apply aiptasia-x, when this happens they don't survive, usually the next day the anemone has turned dark in colors and is tore up. Go figure, I do the hard work using the aiptasia-x and the peppermint shrimp finishes them off. Well, at least I'm getting rid of them.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It is true that SOME peppermint shrimp eat aptasia and there are certain varieties that do not eat aptasia.
It is hard to tell the difference by looking at them. I've only had a few aptasia & the peppermint shrimp I had ate them. But I also had a coral banded shrimp (CBS) that killed my peppermint shrimp. Thankfully it was after the aptasia was gone. How big is your tank? There are also products that kill aptasia. Aptasia-X & Joe's Juice and also a few others. You definitely need to try to get rid of the aptasia. :guns:

reefer gladness

Yes, but as others have noted you need to get the right kind of peppermint shrimp. The variety you're looking for is Lysmata wurdemanni.

Aside from aiptasia-x and Joes Juice some folks have fun with high-powered lasers. Check youtube.

Iheartcoral

It's a 120 gallon

It is true that SOME peppermint shrimp eat aptasia and there are certain varieties that do not eat aptasia.
It is hard to tell the difference by looking at them. I've only had a few aptasia & the peppermint shrimp I had ate them. But I also had a coral banded shrimp (CBS) that killed my peppermint shrimp. Thankfully it was after the aptasia was gone. How big is your tank? There are also products that kill aptasia. Aptasia-X & Joe's Juice and also a few others. You definitely need to try to get rid of the aptasia. :guns:

Oxylebius

Agree with reefer gladness...

http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/27306/27306.pdf - On pg 196, there is a photo of several peppermint shrimps (posted below) including the species that is supposed to be known to eat aiptasia, Lysmata wurdemanni.

I have had in my tank both Lysmata boggessi and Lysmata ankeri at the same time and they lived in harmony with the aiptasia anemones, didn't harm a single one. Lysmata boggessi, is also a species known to consume Aiptaisa based on this article by Rhyne et al. 2004.

Peppermint shrimp can and are sold in the aquarium trade labeled only as 'peppermint shrimp'. I have found that it is helpful to take this photo w/me to lfs to determine which one the store is selling b/c a little while ago I had three different species of peppermint shrimp in my tank and none ate aiptasia.

I hope this is helpful. If you have the time, the article that I linked to above does goes into the differences of these peppermint shrimps, which will help you to identify which species you have or plan on buying.

Rhyne AL, Lin J, Deal K (2004) Biological control of aquarium pest anemone Aiptasia pallida (Verrill) by peppermint shrimp Lysmata sp. (Risso). Journal of Shellfish Research 23: 227–230.

I totally just killed off my first one last night. Was fairly easy. I tried to get Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice but what the LFS had was a powdered (ill get you the name off the bottle when I get home). I mixed some of the powder and boiling water in the cap of the bottle, and didnt even have to get it near his mouth. He started sizzling and bubbling and detached within 30 seconds. I used the turkey baster to get a suction on him and lifted him right off fully intact.

My first experience with it was easier than a WC :)

reefle

120 gallons is huge...I would say Aiptasia X cause it worked really well in my experience. I killed about 20-25 in a 29 gallon biocube in one go and hadn't had problems since.

Iheartcoral

That would be great if I could get the name of that product, it sounds like it really work! The turkey baster is a great idea!!

I totally just killed off my first one last night. Was fairly easy. I tried to get Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice but what the LFS had was a powdered (ill get you the name off the bottle when I get home). I mixed some of the powder and boiling water in the cap of the bottle, and didnt even have to get it near his mouth. He started sizzling and bubbling and detached within 30 seconds. I used the turkey baster to get a suction on him and lifted him right off fully intact.

My first experience with it was easier than a WC :)

I originally went with the Peppermint shrimp, which worked great on 90% of the Aptasia.

There was one big head left, so I got the Aptasia X. I pushed a little hard and shot the stuff all over. My carpenters wrasse ate some of it floating around. Is this going to be bad ?!?