Help!

Flarpsodge4442

Ahh hi guys. So I've ha my reef tank up and running for about four months now. I currently have 1 Benggai Cardinal, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, A Lawnmower Blenny, and a cleaner shrimp as well as a few hermits and ceriths. I run a 29g Biocube HQI and have had my share of algae problems. At first came the diatoms which died off quickly. Then, I think it was hair algae. This was the point at which I bought my blenny who took care of the softly waving (but easily scraped off) algae on the walls and rock. NOW i have a very filamentous and almost fibrous algae growing on everything that is very hard to remove from the walls with a scrubber. Also, my blenny seems not to touch it. Any help appreciated!

Flarpsodge4442

Here's A photo!
image_zpsf040d082.jpeg
[/IMG]

Oxylebius

There are numerous types and colors of algae that are referred to as hair algae. Probably the three of most interest are Derbesia sp., Bryopsis sp., and Chlorodesmis sp. - if you want to search the web for more info.

I've also had issues with one of these types of algae and I can't find any critter who will eat it (mexican turbo snails, blennies, dwarf angles, hermits, you name it, I've tried it). I'm about to pick up an urchin.

A website I found this weekend mentioned these critters below to get rid of Derbesia:
Snails: Astraea tectum, Trochus niloticus, Turbo fluctuosus, Strombus alatus, Strombus gigas
Urchins: Diadema setosum, Mespilia globulus
Crabs: Clibanarius tricolor, Paguristes cadenati

So, I decided to pick up a few more species of snails and the urchin.

Good Luck!