Help!!

DLR74

Heres my prob i have a Royal Gramma the only fish i have had for months today i just went to Crazy Ricks and picked upa very small Yellow Goby and the Gramma s attcking him relentlessly. I have the Goby Quarantined in a tupperware with holes in the tank. What should i do get rid of one of the fish? please Help!

DaveK

How big a tank are we talking about?

This is what a royal Gramma will do. It selects it's hiding place, and that becomes it's home. It will go after almost anything that approaches. So a small docile fish like a yellow gobbie doesn't have much of a chance.

If you have enough room, you could try introducing several fish at once, so the gramma can't go after a single fish. You could also get a fish that is on equal terms with the gramma, something like a spotted hawk.

Another trick is to feed the gramma about all it can eat, and then introduce the yellow gobbie. The gramma may just feel too full to chase anything down.

If you can't get them to live together, my personal choice would be to retuen the golden gobie to the LFS and get something else. I just happen to like royal grammas more. Others might prefer to keep the gobbie.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ditto.gif

DLR74

My Tank is a 24g aquapod so not a whole lot of room i think i will get me a diffrent fish one that is a little his size

fishhead

Royal Grammas are notoriously and aggressively territorial (and that mouth!), however they will usually only aggressively protect their immediate area, and usually don't wander beyond a certain point to bother anybody.
The yellow clown Goby is a very adaptable fish, and will wander just about anywhere in the tank, but will also find a general place to call home, though he will not protect his turf like a Gramma.
Now, how big is your tank and is there plenty of coral and/or rock to hide in?

DLR74

i have a few corals and and around 20lbs of rock alot of hiding areas but the Gramma is swimmig right out of his little space and going right after him

fishhead

Well, my choice would be to take the Gramma back and keep the clown goby. Although not as striking a fish, I feel they are much more personable and entertaining (for a fish). So I must vote to keep the little fish in the little tank. They are really lots of fun. I have both. Get lots of oohs and ahhs on the gramma, but I don't think he is a good choice for any community in 24 gallons.
Just my thought...everyone has them.....even me.:jabber: