Help

Debby

Just bought this little guy friday. Noticed this mornimg it looks mushy on left side not sure if shedding or dieing.did water prem this am.Any ideas?
amonia-0
Nitrites-0
ph-8.2
nitrates-0
calcium-400
saltinity-1022

Debbsfish527.jpg

Debbsfish525.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Bummer Debby. It doesn't look good but it may recover.
Those corals should only be handled from the very bottom since their flesh gets torn/damaged extremely easily if held on the sides.
Yours looks quite bleached so it could have been stressed long before you purchased it.
What lighting was it under? Be sure to acclimate it slowly to stronger lighting over several weeks.

Debby

Thankyou woodstock so keep it on the bottom. The sales person very anxious to sell it.Handled it like you said from the sides.So thats how i did it OOOPS.Is this one of the corals that set off toxins when it is stressed or dieing.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Doesn't look good Debby, was it bleached when you bought it ? Was the tissue retracted like you see in the photo ? Unfortunately the damage appears severe hope somehow your able to save it :(

PS just a suggestion bump the SG to 1.025, your inverts will appreciate it.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Is there any thing I can do to mayby help it?

The only thing I can think of would be maybe an Iodine dip otherwise just provide excellent water quality, keep it on the SB and shade it from intense light/flow and hope it recovers.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just keep it on the sand like Cheeks said. I also agree that your salinity is a little low.
As your friend Debby I have to say, stop the impulse buys! If you see something you like, go home and research it out before buying anything.

Debby

Frankie I did research it. Then went back to buy it, Suppose to be a very easy coral to take care of lives in the sand very little water flow non aggressive.See I do listein to advise LOL

Frankie

RS STAFF
This is what it should look like:
41Trachyphyllia_geoffroyi.jpg

Characters: Colonies are flabello-meandroid and free-living. They are usually hourglass shaped, up to 80 millimetres in length with one to three separate mouths. Large, fully flabello-meandroid colonies are uncommon. Valleys have large regular septa and paliform lobes and a large columella of tangled spines. Polyps are fleshy. When tentacles are retracted during the day a large mantle extends well beyond the perimeter of the skeleton. This retracts if disturbed. At night tentacles in several rows are extended from the expanded oral disc inside the mantle. The mouth is approximately 10 millimetres across. Colour: Polyps, especially the mantles, are often brightly coloured, usually yellow, brown, blue or green. Similar species: None. Habitat: Inter-reef environments and on soft substrates around continental islands. Frequently found with other free-living corals: Heteropsammia (Dendrophylliidae), Heterocyathus (Caryophylliidae) and the fungiids, Cycloseris and Diaseris. Large colonies are found only in certain protected, shallow island embayments. Abundance: Rare on reefs, common around continental islands and some inter-reef areas.

Did it look like this when you bought it?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The problem is the coral was/is under severe stress and has expelled it's zooxanthellae and now the tisue is sloughing off from the skeleton, unfortunately it's unlikely it will recover.

It's been a while since I've dipped coral's just follow the instruction's on the bottle.

rmlevasseur

Sorry deb, but no way this guy makes it. The skele is already significantly cutting through, and there doesn't look like there is enough flesh to puff up anyway. The jelly doesnt look like slime but rather decomposing tissue.

It won't release any toxins, but the way it looks you might find you hermits or snails feasting on it pretty soon. I'd wait maybe another day or two then pull it out.

I think Frankies comment probably had more to do with the health of the animal than compatibility for you and/or your tank. Thats a lot of deterioration in 2 days for a healthy specimen. Probably should not have been sold to you to begin with.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yes that's what I meant. Sorry if I came off harshly. When buying corals from a lfs you really need to go home and search it out. What are the requirements, over all appearance, is the lfs trying yet again to sell me a dieing coral~

stonedfish

Its supposed to be green and red, its way bleached. Mine have recovered from the shrinkage, but that intense bleaching would take a long time. Give it a gentle flow, and mine seem to like the med light areas near the edges of caves. Good luck! Brain corals are my favorites. This one is not the same species, (or maybe it is.) but it should be sort of these colors.

Attachments

• DSC02374.JPG
    DSC02374.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 25

Debby

In no way did I think Frankie was harsh he knows im a impulse buyer and has worked real hard with me not to do that.I am going to lfs to raise cain they probually knew it was not well and that really p----- me off.Here is a pic of it friday when bought it home sorry so blury
Debbsfish484.jpg

Debbsfish492.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good for you Debby! Give them hell!
In the last pictures it looks to be on it's way out. It has lost all of it's color and showing skeleton though the tissue. In another system it might have had a chance but should never have been sold to someone as new as you are to the hobby.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Its supposed to be green and red, its way bleached. Mine have recovered from the shrinkage, but that intense bleaching would take a long time. Give it a gentle flow, and mine seem to like the med light areas near the edges of caves. Good luck! Brain corals are my favorites. This one is not the same species, (or maybe it is.) but it should be sort of these colors.
That's a Lobophyllia. Very nice ;)