Help with Red Sea Pro Test Kit

MaryAnn

Can I get some help feom someone that uses the RedSea Reef Foundation Pro test kit ?
I am so confused on how to read the cards[emoji20]

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

cracker

Hi MaryAnn. I use the same Red Sea test kits. The very fine differing colors on the cards drive me crazy as well. You kinda have to make a" best guess " on the results. Consider the readings don't need to be exact. Find one room with the same light and follow the instructions . Now the instructions in the booklet & the card differ a little. Again , the results don't have to be perfect. Keep a log, if the reading seems wrong refer to the log & test again. Good luck !

SPR

Hi Maryann

The Mg and Calcium 'final stages' goes from a purple and then to pure blue in about 1 extra drop.

The Alk is the one that's a bit harder to judge the change and I just use the same change point every time which for me is like a grey/pinky colour in my eyes. I also have a Hanna Digital Alk checker and they taley with each other at this point for me.

You then just count how much reagent has been used and then that shows the corresponding reading on the card

The Mg is particularly sensitive so you need a very clean vial and just go slow and methodical as per the instructions and if you get a wild high/low reading double check it. The number of times I've had to redo the test....

Hope this helps.

MaryAnn

I just tested it and this is what it was just not sure how to find it on the cards
Akl i used it down to 0.2 befor turning pink

Mag i used it down to 0.6 before turning blue

Cal 0.4 before turning blue

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

SPR

Ok
Assuming you started with the full 1ml titration liquid as per instructions:

If the Alk is down to 0.2 it means you have used 0.8 so look on the card at 0.8 so the Alk is 11.2 dKH

if Ca down to 0.4 then you have used 0.6 so the Ca is 300ppm

If the Mg down to 0.6 you have used 0.4 so the Mg is 800ppm which is quiet low

I would retest the Mg before you do anything about it as it's very sensitive.

SPR

So i need at add Mg fist to raise it?

When I first started I got a few low readings and dumped a load of Reef foundation C (Mg) into the tank to bring it up. This was before I learned how sensitive that test is. I then did another test and it was through the roof! Luckily nothing happened.

So if you get any odd looking readings on any of the tests just double check before you do anything drastic. And also remember there are maximum dosages at any one time for additions of the reef foundations

Also any adjustments should be done in the order:
Mg
Alk
Ca

As per instructions

SPR

So i need to add it slow?

If the tests are correct and you need to add any of the foundation elements just increase the levels gradually/slowly.

I.e. If the Mg was 800 and you want to be 1310 or wherever your aiming for, dont just dump a load of powder in in one go. You increase gradually over days if necessary to prevent shocking anything. The maximum dosages are shown in the instructions certainly in the Red Sea elements but if your using another brand just check.

If you are using Red Sea foundation elements, Just have a re read of the instructions again to make sure your ok with everything. There in the boxes and also online and it's worth studying them to make sure your happy with there use.

One final thing, if your using their combined ABC+ this is different as it contains all the elements. I'm assuming above your are using the individual A B C's which you can add individually to achieve the correct level of each element.

Last edited: