help with readings

I'm sure it's been posted here before...a link to it would be great, please :)

What exactly should I expect to happen with nitrite, nitrate, ph, etc. for a new tank? The reason I ask is because it's been up and running for a week and a half. Bought a small clean up crew last weekend. Two of the snails have died since yesterday. My nitrite is reading really high, while my ph is really low. Nitrate is stable. alkalinity is in ideal range. I know I'm supposed to be testing, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be watching for, or how to fix it. I thought I read the answers to my question somewhere, but it was in a random thread somewhere.
Help? Pretty Please?

Oh, I forgot to add...I had the lights off all day yesterday cuz I went to emergency room (i'm fine), so wasn't here to turn them on. So the tank went without light for a day. Dunno if that would make a difference or not...seems more than a coincidence to me that two snails die after leaving the light off for a day.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sound like all is progressing well... you really didn't want to add the cuc yet, but the snails that died must have added to the ammoina, that is being converted to the nitrites

this is what you are looking for...

Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrate will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

the lights being off for a day... had no effect - what is your ph reading? 7.8 - 8.5 is fine

ph is reading 7.4

should i expect the rest of my cuc to perish? I have three hermits and one snail left. haven't seen any of the stars...not worried bout those though cuz i found out they eat stuff i don't want them to eat LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
while cycling & before adding fish or corals, it's not going to hurt anything... the lights, time of day taken & even frsh air in the room can effect it through out the day, when you start water changes, it should correct it...

see what others think....
1218.gif

tnwillia

You have Hermit crabs, They will eat your snails. I my tank I keep both knowing I need to replace snails 2 or 3 times a year. Good luck!