Help with MaxSpect Razors 10K

DiverAl

Hello, I have 2 Razors on my 180 gal reef tank and I am having problems with perhaps too much light as a number of my previously healthy corals have died. I was using 5 160 watt VHO bulbs until about 6 months ago and now my tank seems less vibrant and healthy. Could people share their experiences with the LED system including intensity settings and amount of time use per interval. Thanks, Alan (DiverAl)

saltfan

Did ya start low and gradually raise the intensity over time to acclimate your corals to the new light?

reefer gladness

First thing I would recommend is looking at all your water parameters. You certainly wouldn't be the first to switch lighting and attribute the trouble to LED's when there was something else going on in the tank.

Beyond that the obvious thing to do is dim the LED's. In my opinion a PAR meter pays for itself quickly when you start losing expensive corals, but if you don't have one it's best to start your LED's fairly low (I'd say max 40%) and increase slowly over a period of weeks while observing your corals.

reefer gladness

What's a good brand of PAR meter?

C.

I've rented an Apogee unit before and ended up purchasing a Seneye last year. For the money the Seneye is about 1/2 the price of the Apogee, it has more features like color temps but it also requires more effort to use. The Seneye doesn't display readings on the unit itself, it has to be connected via USB to a separate computer that you have to install their software on etc. but it works fine.

Best way to use a PAR meter when switching lights is to take measurements under the old lighting first at various points in the tank and use that as your baseline for tuning the new lights. Assuming the new lights are LED you would use dimmer controls to adjust intensity, if the new lights are T5's or halides you could adjust the height over the tank or place a screen over the tank.