Help with bulkhead size for drilling a 40G Breeder. (Herbie)

Corey Akers

I'm new to reef tanks and I am a little confused about hole sizes. I've spent about 6 hours looking for answers, but I am still confused.

I'm setting up a 40 Gallon Breeder tank with a 20G sump. I'd like to do the herbie overflow and have two holes drilled behind an overflow box on one side of the tank, and the return on the other side of the tank. From what I have read, most people usually make the return smaller in diameter. Since I will probably only be using the drill bits for one tank, I'd like to only buy 1 drill bit.

So.. Could I drill all three holes to fit 1" bulkheads? Would this be enough drain or even work with herbie? Or should I drill all three holes to fit 1.5" bulkheads and use a reducer on the return.

Thanks!

I'm not too well versed on the herbie overflow. Looks pretty basic, just 2 100% capacity drains with offset suctions, I'd drill the three 1.5" and reduce if you really need to. Or just buy a cheap set of hole saws, I got some off ebay that should last few at least a dozen more cuts before I ditch them. If you drilled all holes at 1" you'd be reducing your overflow capability considerably. :wave:

Corey Akers

I'm not too well versed on the herbie overflow. Looks pretty basic, just 2 100% capacity drains with offset suctions, I'd drill the three 1.5" and reduce if you really need to. Or just buy a cheap set of hole saws, I got some off ebay that should last few at least a dozen more cuts before I ditch them. If you drilled all holes at 1" you'd be reducing your overflow capability considerably. :wave:

Thank you for your reply. That seems like the best solutions. I guess I was just thinking about it too much.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

StirCrayzy

Whoa, 1.5" dual drains is HUGE flow capacity for a 40b.

Corey,
What is your expected return pump/flow rate?
I don't think its far off to expect two 1" drains to be more than enough.

BRS has a great selection of bulkheads, and when you choose the size you want, it has a listing for the hole size required.

Corey Akers

Whoa, 1.5" dual drains is HUGE flow capacity for a 40b.

Corey,
What is your expected return pump/flow rate?
I don't think its far off to expect two 1" drains to be more than enough.

BRS has a great selection of bulkheads, and when you choose the size you want, it has a listing for the hole size required.

Thanks for the response.

With only using one size bit, I know only having one drain the equivalent size of the return would be risky. Two drains are definitely safer, but I just wanted to make sure it was definitely enough if they are the same size as the return. Most forums had suggested 2 1.5" or 1" drains and a 0.75" return. Once I get the pump in, I guess I'll need to see its response. What are you thoughts on just using the reducers if needed?

I just ordered a Hydor SELTZ L40 Pump (740 gph). There will be about 4 ft of pipe from the sump to the return. I will probably be ordering the bulkhead and drill bit from BRS or glass-holes.

reefer gladness

I think you could get by with 1" drains in a 40g but that's a decent sized pump and it's not going to hurt if you go with the 1.5" so that would be my choice. Keep in mind that the primary drain pipe handles considerably more flow than a durso design because of the continuous siphon. But in case the primary drain is obstructed you want the secondary drain to be able to handle the flow with air being sucked down the pipe hence my advice for the 1.5". This was a pretty good write-up and I generally agree with the authors 'bigger is better' mentality.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

You really only need a quality gate valve on the primary drain pipe. A valve on the return pump is optional if you want to restrict flow but again more is better. Unless you mounted the return pump externally in which case I always like to have a valve above the pump that can be closed when doing pump maintenance.

Corey Akers

I think you could get by with 1" drains in a 40g but that's a decent sized pump and it's not going to hurt if you go with the 1.5" so that would be my choice. Keep in mind that the primary drain pipe handles considerably more flow than a durso design because of the continuous siphon. But in case the primary drain is obstructed you want the secondary drain to be able to handle the flow with air being sucked down the pipe hence my advice for the 1.5". This was a pretty good write-up and I generally agree with the authors 'bigger is better' mentality.

You really only need a quality gate valve on the primary drain pipe. A valve on the return pump is optional if you want to restrict flow but again more is better. Unless you mounted the return pump externally in which case I always like to have a valve above the pump that can be closed when doing pump maintenance.

Thanks. I looked at that a few times and it makes sense. I appreciate your input!