help with anemone

tonygmoney

hello every one i have a anemone and i think it is dyeing becuse it normaly puffs up when i turn on the lights and gose back down at night i cant rember the name of it but now its not puffing back up at all and its kinda green and dark looking what should i do. and all water levels are normal

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Need some more information, how old is the tank, what kind of lighting do you have, the more we know about your system, the better we can help. A photo would be of great benefit as well.

reefer gladness

Even a perfectly healthy nem will retreat on occasion and usually be back to normal within a day. Best not to panic too soon. Pics would help, what color is the nem normally?

'Normal' water levels doesn't tell us much. What are your actual water parameters? When in doubt a waterchange never hurts.

tonygmoney

the color normaly is brown gray i have a low lighting supply i leave the light on all day its a 15 watt. 20 gal tank and its been going for about 7 months the guy at the pet shop that it would be fine and he said its the most easy nem to take care of iam going to try and post a pic

tonygmoney

this is how it should look

reefer gladness

Try using photobucket or another hosting site for pics. That said you probably don't have near enough light, what type of 15watt light do you have? Always remember the guy at the LFS is trying to sell you something, most of us have received bad or at the very least inaccurate advice from LFS employees.

reefer gladness

Remove it immediately if it physcially starts to deteriorate because it will foul up the water quickly, turkey baster works well if you have to remove it because at that point it's like trying to remove a melting piece of jello. Pretty much all nems require strong lighting though so it may just be a matter of time unless you're going to upgrade the lights.

Don't rush it though, all nems have their down days and they generally start to bleach out and turn white when they're dying.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I personally wouldn't leave mine on all the time, but since you're using a lower light than the anemone needs, that may be what has kept it going up until this point. That is pure speculation on my part, though.

reefer gladness

You've got a lot of options for lighting and even more opinions. I'm an LED guy and like to DIY my lights but assuming you have a standard 20 gallon long here's a couple options from the T5HO, metal halide and LED camps to look at. The AquaticLife T5HO looks like a pretty nice fixture but I'd ask for some more opinions from folks who are using them.

AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs

Aqua Medic Metal Halide + T5 Ocean Light Fixture,

Kessil A150W Special Blend LED Aquarium Light

I wouldn't run the lights more than 12-14 hours, gonna stress out the fish if you run 24/7. I didn't see any algae eating snails in your CUC either, you'll want to address that. Astreas, trochus, nerites, and ceriths are all good candidates for a smaller tank.