help! what should i do?

SpitFyre

i did a 50% water change yesterday. my protein skimmer was supposed to be here today. i have corals arriving tomorrow. there was a screw up with the protien skimmer and now it wont be here until next wed. im really worried about my coral!!! should i go to the pet store and buy one, or should i wait for the one i was expecting?? the one i was waiting on is a nice two hundred gallon and the one at the pet store is only for 100 gallon, i have a two hundred twenty five gallon tank.

zy112

How long has your tank been set-up. If I had already ordered one, I wouldn't buy another one. Maybe do two water changes this week. Are all of your parameters good? That should be the first thing to worry about before adding coral. What all equipment (filters, powerheads, lighting) do you currently have?

lcstorc

A lot would depend on the fish load. I don't think I would run out and buy one for a couple of days, just increase the water changes if the parameters get out of hand.
Long term, I would run a second skimmer on that system. Most if not all manufacturers overrate their skimmers. I always buy one rated for at least double the size they are rated for.
Run it with the one for a time and see how things progress. You can always add a second if you find you need it.

SpitFyre

the tank has been up for 7 months. I did 1water change today an plan on 1 more 3 or 4 days later. all parammeters are great. the filters i have are two marineland that set on the back of tank. two power heads. the lights i have are two aqualight coralife 96 watt true actinic03 blue and 96 watt 10,000k daylight square pin compact fluorescent
6 foot tank so its two 36'' they cost $460
for both. thanks for any help

yungreefer2410

uh what kind of corals are you getting because those lights are very weak, just to be sure you have 4x96 watt pc over a 225g tank? what kind of powerheads do you have and what kind? you tank will be fine skimmerless for a handful of days

SpitFyre

Bubble Tip Anemone
(Entacmaea quadricolorNeon Clove Polyps (Clavularia sp.)
- 2 polyp frag:
Green Paly Frag
2 maxi jet 1200
125 g

caitrina

I wouldn't add the anemone yet. I think I remember reading that your tank is fairly new. Anemones require high water quality which can sometimes be hard to provide in a new system.

As for the skimmer, I wouldn't rush out and buy one, just wait til theone you ordered arrives.

SpitFyre

i have two aqualight coralife 96 watt true actinic03 blue and two 96 watt 10,000k daylight square pin compact fluorescent. the tank is one hundred twenty five gallon.
i have two anem.s already, a hatian pink tip and a curly que, both have been in there for a few months and are doing great.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good morning.

Don't sweat the skimmer especially if it's already ordered. Just do as usual and keep an eye on your water parameters.

Adding "another" anemone is really REALLY asking for some problems long-term. As already mentioned your tank is woefully under lit for this animal. Due to the fact they have a very slow metabolism they can "Seem" to do well for months and then almost over-night start to wither and expire quickly. Once they do they do it quickly and stand a good change of "Nuking" your tank.

Also keep in mind that different types of anemone don't always "play well together" and tend to fight to the death.

I hate being Mr. Negative here but you're backing yourself into a proverbial corner right now and I hate to see you have big issues down the road.