HELP! Tang dominating

leng1986

I juz brought a flame angel, now my blue hippo tang keep attacking the new flame angel on sight! any1 can giv me some solution?

GrendelPrime

problem with tangs and even the more docile tangs is when u try to add another fish with the same body shape especialy in a smaller tank they can get down right nasty, only advise i can give is keep an eye on it for a few days and hope the tang accepts the flame angel, if after a few days the aggression is still there ur gonna have to make a choise to either keep the flame or tang, did u quarentine the flame before adding? reason i ask is if he wasent u run the risk of the added stress for ich

Val

thanks for the advice, I will monitor them closely, BTW is flame angel eat nori?

This is from liveaquaria:

The diet of the Flame Angelfish should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other high-quality meaty items.

I've read about using a plastic strainer to put the tank bully in when adding a new fish. Basically the strainer floats on top and you put the bully in it while the new fish is getting used to the tank.

Anselth

Another way to decrease aggression is to rearrange the rockwork. Basically, more aggressive fish will claim the entire tank as their territory if they are added first. Rearranging the rockwork following the addition of a more placid individual puts everyone on an even footing and allows the newbie to find a territory of their own. Except in extreme circumstances, most of the more aggressive species won't drive a previous inhabitant from their territoty.

TheReefer91

I was in the same situation.I had my blue jaw trigger in my tank for about 1 year he would get alone with all my fish.I decided to add an adult chocolate tag to my tank.when I introduced the tang the trigger would not leave him alone.I thought I would lose my tang due to stress.and the worst part was that i cannot move my rock without the whole thing collapsing.so I just let it bethe next day they were completely fine together, even during feeding.

Corailline

You can try placing a mirror on the tank as well. Sometimes it distracts the tangs long enough for the new fish to acclimate and get some courage.

Corailline

Tape to the outside, seems to work very well with tangs. They get so busy trying to bluff the mirror they give the new fish some time to get with the program.