Help-Stock 130 skimmer

jb673

Folks;
My RSM now 18 months old with the stock 130 skimmer-heres' the problem-bubbles in the chamber have decreasing dramatically over the past month or so, & as you can imagine skimmed matter as well. Installed a new impeller about 2 weeks ago, still with no improvement whatsoever. Per the Red Sea manual, I have cleaned the entire system on numerous occasions, & all seems to be in order. Anyones' thoughts would be greatly appreiated.
Thanks All-Jerry

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi Jerry,
HAve you tried letting the airline suck in hot fresh water while the skimmer is running? Many times there is salt build up that gets inside the air port and you cannot see it.
Very hot fresh water will disolve it.

jb673

redseareef;
Thank-you much for the quick response-using a 3ml syringe, injected approx 15ml of very hot water into the air intake with the skimmer running-no change-any further thoughts?
Thanks Again-Jerry

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Jerry - good to hear from you again. I wish I had an answer for you. You might want to pull the skimmer pump and check the fitting where the air hose enters the pump. It could be so plugged up with salt that the hot water injection may not have dissolved it. If you pull off the little air valve can you blow air through it? Another thing to try would be to replace the air valve with a new one. One of those cheap plastic in-line air valves from any LFS would work. In fact, some folks in the past saw improved skimming just by replacing the RSM air valve with one of the commonly available plastic ones. Maybe one of these possible solutions will help you out.

jb673

redseareef & Reefmack;
Thanks again for the quick response! "where the air hose enters the pump". Critical reefmack, I agree! I inserted a safety pin & it is completley clear with no obstruction whatsoever. Although I cannot blow threw the "little air valve"
might this be the problem?
Much Thanks-Jerry

KG1026

save the hassle and upgrade maybe? Seems like the euroreef and tunze have very high reps from what I've read.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jerry - sounds like maybe the air valve itself is plugged with salt. Try soaking it in hot water for a while, or just go get a new one, which may be better anyway.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Jerry,
What you need is a LPM Dyer air flow meter. This way, you have physical numbers to go off.
They will be listed on the website next week. Anyone who is really serious about keeping their skimmer up to snuff should have one!
Not only will it tell you if a airline is plugged up, once that is eliminated it will tell you the pump is going bad. Then it's just a matter of replacement and you are back going again!
IMG_2604.jpg
A VERY essential too!

JoeBl0GGs

Take it all out from the system first check what colour the skimmer head is underneath black or blue if black get the upgrade from Red Sea Max as it should be blue. Secondly clean the air pipe through to where it attaches to the pump flow warm water through it. Then attach it back to the pump and again run warm water through it again does the water come out from the pump if so put it back together. When you drop it back in let it slide down itself as air bubbles can get trapped inside maybe give it a bit of a wobble as it sinks. Turn the flow to off let it run for a bit then open up the flow.

Wish You The Best !!!

jb673

JoeB;
Much thanks for ALL that replied to my initial message-Unfortunately, nothing has worked-yesterday, another 5 gal water change-Will call Pinky @ RSM & order a new skimmer pump!
I Really Appreciate to all that responded to my initial post!
Thank-You All Very Much!!
Jerry

jb673

RedSeaReef;
The Dyer air flow meter information will be posted by you? I'll call Pinky tommorow & order a new pump, & as I recall she indicated about $65 for the entire system to include tubing-Much thanks again for your help!
Jerry

jb673

JoeBIOGGs;
Thank-You Sir-Followed your insructions & all is Well! I think the key is to lower the skimmer body slowly into the tank & allow the natural air/water to balance properly-Thank-You Much!
Jerry

jb673

Reefmack & Joe;
Just a quick update-After about 3 weeks, the skimmer is performing like New!
One of the keys' I feel, is to lower the skimmer assembly Slowly!
Thanks again Joe!
Jerry:snowski:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good news Jerry - that lowering the RSM skimmer slowly must indeed be key to increasing the chances of getting good performance.