Help-Skimmer Causing Tank to fill with Bubbles

2ManyHobbies

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Forum and to saltwater aquariums. If anyone can give any advice for my skimmer problems I'd really appreciate it. I'm new this so don't be surprised if I ask elementary questions. :)

Background:
Tanks been up about 3 months. I have 2 clowns, 1 goby, and 1 flame angel. There is also about 40lbs of live rock that was introduced from the beginning.

Problem:
The protein skimmer is over-skimming (I think that's the term the LFS used). When I turn on the skimmer foam shoots up quickly into the collection cup. The cup fills quickly with clear water and eventually overflows. The pumps then begin to shoot out tons of bubbles into the tank.

This issue orginally started a couple of weeks ago. I've recently turned off the skimmer (based on LFS advice) for 7 days because I was medicating the fish. Unfortunately the problem started immediately upon turning the skimmer back on. I've played around with the air valve, closing it and opening it completely, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on how quickly the collection cup fills.

The LFS said that this is normal and the skimmer is just over-skimming and that it would eventually stop. It's been doing this for a day now so I'm getting worried that this may not be normal.

Am I being paranoid about the skimmer and bubbles? Is there something I can do to fix the issue?

Thanks everyone. My apologies if there's another thread out there that's already addressed this issue.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
2manyhobbies,
Welcome to the RedSea Forum! The skimmer is reacting to whatever you have put in your tank water. Medication, other additives, etc.
Add new carbon when you are done medicating the fish. Then, after the carbon has ran a few days and removed the medicine you can turn the skimmer back on and it should then be settled down.
What are you adding medication to the tank for? Are you adding copper? Adding medication many times gets into the live rock and sand is is VERY difficult to get out of the system!!!
If a fish is not stressed out, and is fed well they will recover on their own. Adding medication is tricky business, and I would not recommend it.
But a skimmer will go nuts when adding different chemicals to the tank. It's totally normal!
Hope this helps

2ManyHobbies

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick response.

I started medicating the tank (based on advice from the LFS) because one of the clowns started growing a white fungus looking tumor (sorry, for the non scientific description) on the side of it's body. I think it was diseased or sick when I bought it because the fungus started within a couple of days upon introducing it into my tank. The clown had been eating and acting fine for a couple of weeks but LFS recommended medication since it did not go away. I stopped medicating the tank (Melafix and Pimafix) a couple of days ago because directions said to only do it for 7 days. The clown does look a lot better and the fungus is pretty much gone.

I also removed the carbon (per the medication instructions) and replaced it before turning skimmer back on. Weird thing is this over-skimming issue started before the medication was introduced to the tank.

Thanks for the advice. I'll turn off the skimmer and give it a few days before turning it back on.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Your welcome,
Yes, just let things settle down in the tank water. Many times doing nothing is the best cure. If the fish does not have internal organ damage or parasites and is not under any kind of continual stress the best cure is good food and rest.
Do you have the RedSea Max tank?

2ManyHobbies

Yes I have the Red Sea Max, 34g tank.

I'll definitely let the tank settle down for a bit. I did do a 20% water change the day after stopping medication, so hopefully that helps clear up the tank. The fish are all still pretty active and acting normal.

Thanks again the help!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
2ManyHobbies - :welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club forum.

On the bubbles, have you read the thread on microbubbles? There's a link to a diagnostic chart (pdf file) from Red Sea in the first post in that thread:

RSM Microbubbles

There has been an owner or two that has had the problem you've had - with the skimmer all of a sudden going crazy and filling up with water quickly. I'm not sure if the cause was ever identified, but it did stop eventually. As mentioned above, a lot of things can affect the skimmer. Since you saw this start before the medication, is there anything else you may have added? Do you add any dechlorinator to the water? Change salt brands, add any Red Slime remover, any other supplements?

Welcome aboard!

mzreenie

New carbon causes bubbles per the flow chart. I noticed in my new tank that the new carbon filter was being sucked up right to the bottom of the circulation pumps, and immediately the pumps would send out a burst of bubbles. I had to turn the pumps off a few times and let the carbon filter drop back down, then turn the pumps back on. I had to do this about 5 times before the carbon stayed down where it belonged and the bursts of bubbles stopped. I also adjusted the level of the overflow box.

2ManyHobbies

Thanks for the help guys.

ReefMack - now that you mention it, I did use some Red Slime Remover awhile back. Don't remember exactly when I last used it and if it was around the same time the problem first happeneed.

It's been about a week since I stopped using the medication and haven't touched the Red Slime Remover in weeks. I'm going to do a small water change tonight and run the the skimmer, so hopefully everything will be fine.

Also, what do you guys think about the 3 day/month carbon filters? I have some of the same issues of the carbon getting caught in the pumps and figured only keeping the carbon in for 3 days a month would help alleviate that problem.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
2ManyHobbies - maybe it was the Red Slime Remover that caused the problem. I've heard it can cause that type of skimmer reaction until it's removed with water changes and skimming. I haven't heard about the 3 day/month carbon use so can't comment on it. Is it loose carbon getting in your pumps, or the bag or drawstring on the bag? If it's a drawstring just put the bag in with the string on the bottom side. If it's the bag, get some plastic cable ties from Home Depot or Lowes and cut the bag smaller.

mzreenie

In my case, it was the whole mesh bag of carbon being sucked up to the bottom of the pumps. I did read, later of course, that the bags of carbon should be soaked for several days before being used. Don't know if that would have helped.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I never soak mine - I just rinse them until the black dust was no longer coming out. If you listen when they first get wet it's almost a sizzling sound as they pick up water and release air. Soaking may not be a bad idea though. If the bags are too big I just tie them off tight with a plastic cable tie and cut of the excess bag material.

2ManyHobbies

Did the water change last night and everything seems to be running fine. Thanks for the help everyone!

As for the carbon, it was the same issue for me. I rinsed it before putting it in the chamber but still have issues every once in awhile with it get stuck under the pumps.

Here's a link to the 3 day/month carbon. Don't know too much about it either.

Kent Marine Reef Carbon

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
2ManyHobbies - Good to hear that things are running well again! Thanks for the link on the carbon removing trace elements. I've read the trace element info. before, but never the 3 days part. It seems like every carbon vendor has different directions, but I think they all agree that it's only efficient for a few weeks. I add a trace element additive about once a week.

dustypop

This thread has been very helpful. I am experiencing the same problem with my skimmer due to adding red slime remover. Tomorrow I will replace the all the carbon and do another 20 percent water change. What a great forum!
Thanks guys!

hagadiii

How do you use the carbon?

What polyester bag do u put the carbon into?
I read the thread about the 3 day/month but i still cannot imagine where you would place the bag of carbon, sump? tank? is it near the return pump? is that why the bag is sucking thru the pump?
please explain, i'm a newbie myself, thanks.
alex

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
dustypop - always good to hear that information has helped someone!

hagadiii - I think you have a 150 gallon tank? This post is referring to the 34 gallon Red Sea Max tank, so what we nano tank owners do may not apply to your situation. I wish I knew what to tell you on where to place the carbon in your nice setup! In the RSM tank the carbon goes into a filtration section in back of our smaller tank. The only thing I could think of for your situation would be to run carbon through a cannister filter, but there may be a better spot for it - maybe in the sump somewhere?

dustypop

Re: How do you use the carbon?

What polyester bag do u put the carbon into?
I read the thread about the 3 day/month but i still cannot imagine where you would place the bag of carbon, sump? tank? is it near the return pump? is that why the bag is sucking thru the pump?
please explain, i'm a newbie myself, thanks.
alex

I simply buy a large enough replacement bag that is intended for an outside filter. I place the bag in the inflow chamber in the sumb and it lodges itself. I think that the key is a large enough bag. I hope I havent been too confusing. :banghead: