Help Please

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Wow Debby, your tank does look great! That plate coral is a substrate dweller and is a certain death wish having it up on the rock work. I know the Sea Apple is beautiful, but I hope you get the picture with all these responses.

First and foremost it's imperative that you get a handle on the water chemistry and learn the acceptable ranges of each component. Here are a couple of excellent articles by one of the best chemists in the hobby.

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Get this under your belt and you'll be well on your way to a healthy and long term, beautiful reef tank.:D

naperenterprise

another thing I learned the hard way is adding new fish into a coral tank, if the new fish has ick the rest may get it causing all kind of health problems.

Quarentien tank needed, and that could be another problem. So where you get your fish, and how you aclimate them into your tank is very important.

Debby

well I took sea apple back to pet store yhe owner was there he listein to me.Appoligized for his manager and offered to trade it out for somthing else.explained trouble im having keeping fish so he will give me credit when im ready to get somthing. Thought that was neat, He also is going to ck on the light situation for me.

framerguy

Debby, that's great to hear! I'm so glad things worked out that way. Maybe the manager will hear it from the owner and shape up.

The Sea apples are so beautiful, it's a shame they are so toxic.

Whew! Scott gave you a lot of reading material there, settle down with a nice merlot and soak it in. (take that as you want to!)

cracker

well I took sea apple back to pet store yhe owner was there he listein to me.Appoligized for his manager and offered to trade it out for somthing else.explained trouble im having keeping fish so he will give me credit when im ready to get somthing. Thought that was neat, He also is going to ck on the light situation for me.

Well that is good news! I hope the owner had a "one on one" conversation with that manager!

heels92

Well that is good news! I hope the owner had a "one on one" conversation with that manager!

Ditto. As you can see...there are alot of really cool people on here. I have only been a member for about a month and have had alot of great input.

About the "merlot thing..." I tend to find that after one glass,:drunk: anything I read goes in the eye and out the...:laughroll

Try it...it might work for you, but not for me.

Darrell

BarbMazz

Hi, Debby and welcome to RS! I've just read through your thread and gotten caught up. It sounds as though things will begin to turn around, especially since the sea apple is now out of the tank!

I can't offer any advice, but would like to offer support and friendship. As you can see, RS is the most wonderful place.

I'm just about to set up my first tank and I've learned most everything right here on RS. Scott has given you great reading material. Just take it one at a time and you'll get through it... ask questions as they come up. You'll think you'll never get it but it does start to make sense!

I'm hoping you'll stick around... your tank is already very beautiful and I think once you get the water quality dialed in you'll be all set and very pleased!

Jason25

Hi, Debby, I too have just caught up on this thread. There are great people here and they wwill help you as best they can. Bare in mind like has been said already take what your LFS has to say with a grain of sand. The best advice I can give you is do your research before you buy anything and if you are not sure post your questions here and everyone will help. This hooby is very rewarding when things are are going good a little research will help that happen for you.

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Looks like I have missed a lot. Your tank is very colorful and I really like the aquascape.
Glad to hear the owner cares about losing a customer but the best way to avoid most problems is to do your own research before going into the store. You may still have some problems but things like the sea apple would not find their way home that way.
The other thing I have not heard mentioned is that the fish could have been cyanide caught. Ask the LFS where their fish come from and if they are cyanide caught. They will likely not know or tell you about the cyanide but there are some areas where it is used and some where it is outlawed. A fish caught with cyanide is almost always doomed. They last about a month and then die no matter what you do.
I do think the most likely cause is your chemistry and the sea apple so you are headed in the right direction. I just wanted to mention the cyanide so hopefully you can avoid that particular issue.

Debby

yes it is a lot of info Scott gave me, So far what I have read is very educational and giving me lots of insight.retested water after water change ph 7.4 amon 0 nitrate 0 nitrite o so mayby in the right track.

kathywithbirds

Hey Debby!!

Good news on that sea apple!! What I meant with the plate coral was that it looked like some skeleton was exposed. Could be bad, could be OK if it's healing. If something is dying in a tank, some things (that sea apple is a BIG example) they can release toxins that can harm or kill other things in your tank. Even things that aren't "tank nukers" will decay when they die, which still fouls your water and makes it at least uncomfortable for tank inhabitants, especially sensitive creatures like the anemone. Slime on the plate (favite??) may not be good. If you can get a picture up close posted here maybe someone with experience with them can tell you what to do with it (placement on sand or rock, how far away from the lights, what kind of flow they like). Same with other critters, you can ask for advice on where to put them in teh tank and how close to lights and what to feed. There's going to be someone who's experienced with teh critter you're asking about.

lcstorc

I am really hoping that ph reading is a typo. Did it really go from 8.8 to 7.4? That is a very drastic change an 7.4 is too low regardless.
Then again you might have meant 8.4 which is perfectly fine.

lcstorc

Glad to hear it. I was hoping that was it. :)
Sounds like the chemistry is improving. The best thing to do now is sit back and wait while you are doing research. Several of the fish that died on you are not good for a reef to begin with or are too large for your tank. Take the time while the tank settles in to figure out what you want to keep in the tank.

Debby

it looks different without sea apple. no flower blooms they were pretty. So sad their so evil.................

Debby

file000.jpg