Help picking out power heads?

I need some power heads for my 40 gallon breeder. What would you guys suggest? I have around 25-30lbs of live rock and 15-20 in the sump. My sump has around 20-25 gallons and my return pump is rated at 1200gph. I know this sounds like a Lott of flow, but to me it doesn't seem like it. I can tell I don't have really any flow in the front of the tank, and their is a little bit of film on the top left side of the tank due to lack of circulation. Also, the sump is separated in two, and to me isn't really flowing very well. This is because where the separation is, their is no bottom part, allowing water to pass, and keeping the top water line in both sections very still, what should I do about this?
I don't want to spend crazy amounts of money, but will spend a decent amount if it is truly necessary, what do you guys suggest? I plan on having coral, and fish, not positive what types yet, but would like to get good enough equipment that I shouldn't need to upgrade later on.
All help is appreciated, thank youu!

DaveK

For that size tank, you can use just about any decent powerhead out there. If you want to spend the money the Eco Tech Vor Tech and the Tunze streams are excellent but extremely expensive.

Many return pumps, especially the submersible pumps are glorified powerheads, and the flow rate you actually get is a lot less than what they are rated for. The only way I know to tell for sure is measure the flow at the return outlet. Use a 1 gal, cleaned milk bottle and see how long it takes the pump to fill it, and do the math.

While we are on the subject of your tank, it's best not to put live rock in the sump. Long term it's going to become a dirt trap and cause problems.

Hmm, okay, I'll look into those power heads and let you know what I think. What do you use instead of live rock? The bioballs?

Oxylebius

Don't go the bioball route, nitrate factory. Personally, I have always kept my sumps clear of anything like rocks/bioballs, etc. My preference, so I won't be recommending that for you. If you do want something in there, there is a product called marinepure that I see popping up on the forum a bit more lately, you can look into it: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-1-1-2-spheres-1.html Do a forum search for marinepure to see who else is using/talking about it on this forum (for more info).

Oxylebius

I've always just had equipment in there or connected to it (several pumps, skimmer, ATO dumps into it and a chiller). I also have a couple bags of carbon in there and sometimes I add in fine filter floss on the return pump area if I'm doing some major maintenance so it can help capture particles. Just the way I do it. :smirk:

puffermike

You guys should look into the new Gyre Riptide. I'm going to be purchasing one soon! They have a pretty awesome design with a controller for a fair price.

The distance this beast can push water is crazy.

[video=youtube;lFnMOWeU-9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnMOWeU-9U[/video]

Oxylebius

I don't have experience w/vortech's so can't recommend it. A quick web search shows that are expensive, so $70 seems like a good deal.

Hopefully others on this forum who have vortechs will pop in and provide their thoughts.

Yeah, I mean, I can get a koralia for 25 bucks which people say are fine, but when someone is selling you something for that cheap, it's worth looking into. Just hope someone on here can share some knowledge before it's sold. I just think it's cool how it powers the fan through the glass. That way you don't have a bulky power head in there.

cracker

I run Koralia's in my tank. They are a little big but have held up well over the years. I'm happy with them for the price.