HELP! Overly Aggressive Ocellaris Clown

MCDM

Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a problem on my hands. Just to bring you up to speed, my larger clown of a mated pair killed the male after being together for 3 plus years. Now, after being the only clown in the tank for about a year, I've been hesitant about adding smaller fish as she's overly aggressive. Today, I added 3 fire gobies. In the beginning, she paid little attention. When I got back from dinner, the 3 of them are pretty much torn to shreds. Is there anyway to dispel this behavior? I currently don't have a RBTA in there as it wondered into the mp10. Would re arranging the aquascape help? What about adding a smaller clown? I don't want to part with her as she's been with me for over 4 years. Thoughts?

Danreef

What an issue this. Have you posted this in the general discussion forum too ?
Many members with all type of tanks read it.

Sorry I do not have an answer.

Daniel

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm curious as to how BIG your tank is? Apparently that female clown as her mind made up that there is not enough territory to share in "her tank" :look:

MCDM

Hi Diana, the tank is a RSM 130D. The clown is pretty big, roughly 3 inches in length.

Bad news: All 3 fire gobies dead. The hermit crabs and urchin were feasting this morning when I checked on the tank.

Oxylebius

How big is the tank? What are the dimensions of the tank. Length of the tank can play a factor here. Depending on the size of the tank I would do one of two things. If it is smaller than 65 gallons, I would keep it as her tank, buy another anemone, and stock the tank with sps.

If the tank was bigger than 65 gallons, I'd pull her out and keep her in a 20 gallon tank for the next several months. I would then change up the rock scape and slowly stock the tank with fish that I want. Then reintroduce her back into the tank 4-5 months from now. This allows two things. Enough time to stock the tank and allows the new fish to settle in.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think Oxy has some really good suggestions for you.
As aggressive as your female clown is in a 35 gallon tank, you almost have no other options than those Oxy gave above. She has proven she will kill. She has indicated that is HER TANK, her home & she most likely won't change. I'd say her reputation as a semi-aggressive fish has now been upgraded to overly aggressive.
I can still see how you could love & have an attachment to her, we get that way with our fish ;)
I'd be interested in an update with your plans.

MCDM

I think I may have to part ways with her unfortunately. As much as it pains me, her attitude has taken a 180 degree turn. She used to eat out of my hand, now when I'm cleaning the tank she nips at my fingers...

Bottom line is I don't have another tank to put her in, and I my desire to have a peaceful tank is kind of tipping the balance. Hopefully I can find a good home for her as I don't want to drop her at the LFS where she could end up in a poor environment.

Danreef

My clown eats from my fingers too. When I put my hand inside he bites my fingers too. I think he is just looking for food.

Good luck. Sure you will find for her another good home.

judojay

Taking the clown out. Changing your rock scape and reintroduce the clown will make it think it's entered other fish territory. Thus making its territorial attitude change. Personally I would just change clowns as it is easier

GregT

My male clown recently did the same thing after years happily swimming with its mate. Managed to rescue the female and put it in my sump. After a month or so tried to reintroduce the female clown but still attacked it.
Will have to sell one or both individually.

lferrero

When i decided to go from a 95 gal to a redSea Max 250 (65 Gal) i had only a pair of tomato clowns with a very aggressive female. I kept clowns in the 95 Gal and added a fairly big fox face, a sailfin tang (also a size comparable with the size of the female clown) to the new 65 Gal. then left the new stock on the 65 for two months so they can establish their own territory. Also move the live rock from the old aquarium building a new reefscape on the 65 and changing it all on the 95. After that i added the male clown to the 65 an left the female for about two weeks on the 95. At that point i moved the female to the 65 where she was bullied for two days by the sailfin tang. Now, after several months they are all living happily.

(At the time, the clowns were 9 years old)

i guess it work, maybe i was lucky.

Happy reefing