Help needed.... tomato clownfish

Nathan spagnoli

I need help kinda freaking out haha so I have had a 6g custom tank that I baught from a guy on cregslist after adding a white sand ,a small live rock and then a rock i got from a fish store near me I waited a 4-5 days for the small tank to cycle today I got a small candy aneme three snails one frag of green candy coral and two tomato clowns that I had my eyes on and asked the store to hold for me.... after 3 hours of acclamation and testing the salinity of the water I added the fish I added Kent marine micro vert coral food and the anemone..... went out for a bit came back the anemone deflated and was in a different spot and the fish acted and behaved compleaty normal.....I then began to feed the tomato clownfish “ocean nutrition prime read flakes” at first the fish didn’t seem to see the food and left it there after about 2 min they started to eat and began swimming frantically jumping out of the water and slamming against the solid plastic cover I rushed to get a separate bucket with grease salt water when. I arrived back... both of the fish... had sunken to the bottom completely and the anemone now looks like a flat pancake....both the candy coral frag still looks ok and my snails are also fine......

I have no idea what I did wrong first 12 hours everything seemed perfectly normal and now I’m looking at what looks to be two dead and beautiful pairs tomato clowns...and a dead anemone.... I am new to the hobby this being my first tank at college but that was a kick in the pants had my eye on these fish for a week and out of nowhere they died.

Nathan spagnoli

I need help kinda freaking out haha so I have had a 6g custom tank that I baught from a guy on cregslist after adding a white sand ,a small live rock and then a rock i got from a fish store near me I waited a 4-5 days for the small tank to cycle today I got a small candy aneme three snails one frag of green candy coral and two tomato clowns that I had my eyes on and asked the store to hold for me.... after 3 hours of acclamation and testing the salinity of the water I added the fish I added Kent marine micro vert coral food and the anemone..... went out for a bit came back the anemone deflated and was in a different spot and the fish acted and behaved compleaty normal.....I then began to feed the tomato clownfish “ocean nutrition prime read flakes” at first the fish didn’t seem to see the food and left it there after about 2 min they started to eat and began swimming frantically jumping out of the water and slamming against the solid plastic cover I rushed to get a separate bucket with grease salt water when. I arrived back... both of the fish... had sunken to the bottom completely and the anemone now looks like a flat pancake....both the candy coral frag still looks ok and my snails are also fine......

I have no idea what I did wrong first 12 hours everything seemed perfectly normal and now I’m looking at what looks to be two dead and beautiful pairs tomato clowns...and a dead anemone.... I am new to the hobby this being my first tank at college but that was a kick in the pants had my eye on these fish for a week and out of nowhere they died.
I meant grease salt water not grease

Uncle99

Yup, your build needs to encompass a full cycle so that ammonia entering the system will not kill your inhabitants. Ammonia is deadly. Cycle first, fish second, anemone about 6-9 months down the road.

IMO, 6g is way to small for any clowns, or anenomes ,especially tomatoes which are quite spunky. Clowns need an absolute minimum of 30g for Percs and ocellaris, and I would bump that up to 50g for all others like maroons.

To be successful in this hobby, you have to have the rightly sized components, be a master water maker, have great lights, and incorporate only those things which make sense within your bio-sphere.

Nathan spagnoli

Yup, your build needs to encompass a full cycle so that ammonia entering the system will not kill your inhabitants. Ammonia is deadly. Cycle first, fish second, anemone about 6-9 months down the road.

IMO, 6g is way to small for any clowns, or anenomes ,especially tomatoes which are quite spunky. Clowns need an absolute minimum of 30g for Percs and ocellaris, and I would bump that up to 50g for all others like maroons.

To be successful in this hobby, you have to have the rightly sized components, be a master water maker, have great lights, and incorporate only those things which make sense within your bio-sphere.

Ahh ok ... I picked clowns after watching a few videos from fish12g and how he set up his nano tank and how to care for the fish at college I also found out that dead anemone release a toxin that kills fish if not removed immediately.... sucks to learn this way but it’s karma on my end for not getting all the information i should have in the week leading up to last night.... the coral and snails are still alive surprisingly

Uncle99

Sometimes people try and stretch parameters and sometimes that might work, usually not over the long term.
Lots of great info on this site in the sticky’s, this hobby’s just to expensive to recreate the wheel.
Everyone here has learned some lessons before!