Help me!!! Tell me what this algae is.

Mty1986

Can anybody tell me what kind of algae this is and the best way to get rid of it. It is all over rocks and sand.
2A85813A-6035-46A8-80D6-E2D6929EBC7E-1323-000000B063E9B72C_zps35d5ac4a.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks like diatoms on my phone. How old is your tank. It can be part of the normal algae cycle. A good clean up crew with snails and/or hermits will help get rid of it, if your tank has cycled.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

ReefingFun

Pic is rather vague :/ Think it's a mix of diatoms with some possible Dinoflagellates, but hard to see that last one. Those are air bubbles on the tips of some right or am I seeing it wrong?

Mty1986

Yes there are some air bubbles on it. But not sure if it is from microbubbles. An hiw do I get rid of dinoflagellate

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'd look into some more snails. Some nerites and a turbo snail would be good

AC273

I wouldn't be too concerned. As long as your not over feeding and you make sure you have good water parameters, the tank should cycle back to normal. Has something recent happened that would cause a change in water quality?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If your tank is less than 6 months running, you can expect to see several different sorts of outbreaks.
How old is your tank? What are your water parameters? What kind of water are you using? (Treated tap or RO?)
If you have good light (on a limited schedule) and good water flow, water parameters in good range, and are doing your water changes weekly...it will most likely run it's course & not be anything to get real excited about.
I think I've had all the outbreaks (& I did a semi-panic with each, LOL!) but they seem to be clearing up at 3+ months and a few needed changes (increased water flow & light cycle reduction). Also make sure you are not letting direct sunlight from a window or patio door hit your tank daily. Hope some of this helps....HANG IN THERE & keep asking questions when you feel the need :)

Mty1986

I have a 4 bulb t5 light. Do you think it is plenty for a 24 inch tall aquarium. I thought about adding some led strips.