Help Me Choose That Final Fish

My tank is closing in on 1 year, and I would like to add one final fish. Tank specs and a pic are below:

Mixed Reef 75Gw/29G Sump
A,N,N are all 0
Alk 9.5 dKH
Calc 430
pH 8.1-8.25

Livestock:
Flame Angel
Pair of True Percs hosting to an RBTA
Royal Gramma
Leopard Wrasse
2 Cleaner Shrimp
Assorted snails and a few red legged hermits.

So what would be a nice "showcase" fish? I am considering one of these (which are difficult), but I need to do more research. Suggestions appreciated.

http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=13591&siteid=20

June_Pic_s_023.jpg
[/IMG]

BoomerD

Purple tang? Nice relatively non-aggressive (to other species), stay relatively small (9" in the wild, usually less than 6" in our tanks) have nice color, and stay active. another good choice would be the Kole tang. GREAT algae grazer, non-aggressive, and stays small. I DO like the appearance of the wrasse you linked to, but it gets to 9" in the wild, and as you noted, is reputed to do poorly in reef tanks. Fenner rates it as a 3 (out of 3...3 being the worst for survivability)

razz

gotta go with the tang for cleaning some algea and having some nice looks..a yellow tang would really show off in your tank i think..you could add 2 different tang if you add them at the same time as with a kole and yellow or purple..just my 2 cents..ohh i forgot about the chevron by far the best looking fish out there but my anemone ate mine last month so no one is aloud to get one before i replace mine:smirk:

lcstorc

A juvinile Chevron is an absolutely gorgeous fish, but they do loose much of their color as they mature. Unfortunately, they are also pretty expensive at least where I am anyway. My personal favorite is my Sailfin but they get very large and will outgrow a 75 fairly quickly. I would probably go with a yellow or purple tang for that splash of color. Yellows are very common and therefore pretty inexpensive and the color is gorgeous. Being the last fish added to the tank should help a lot with agression.

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
I agree with the tang theory, I really like the Kole's. The pinstripe look with the yellow rimmed eyes and yellow-orange fins really pop in a reef. Another good choice might be a Regal Tang as well, as well as bring a completely different color into the tank. My favorite tang is by far a Naso, but it would only be able to stay in the tank until it got larger as they get very large.

lgerold

I'm gonna change the tune for a while. What about a Sunburst Anthias! I think they are beautiful.

Charlie97L

i'd advise against that wrasse you linked too. i bet it would fight with your leopard.

powder blues are ridiculously aggressive.

my vote is for purple or kole. :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Charlie97L said:
i'd advise against that wrasse you linked too. i bet it would fight with your leopard.

powder blues are ridiculously aggressive.

my vote is for purple or kole. :)

Different Genus and as long as the leopard was the first one there shouldn't be a problem, but you never know always better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really do like Tangs but I'm a bit gun shy of placing one in a 75G (4ft) tank. I think most of them deserve 6 ft. (Especcially the powder blue). They are one of my favorite tangs....maybe one day when I upgrade to a 300G inwall.......I'll rethink the yellow, Purple, and Kole. I agree that the Lineatus Fairy Wrasse is a fantastic fish, but wouldn't you want to have them in at least a pair? Two or three would cause a bit of "sticker shock".

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Craig Lambert said:
I agree that the Lineatus Fairy Wrasse is a fantastic fish, but wouldn't you want to have them in at least a pair? Two or three would cause a bit of "sticker shock".

LOL

Although they tend to show brighter coloration with a harem they will do fine by themselves. I have a Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus and when I bought him he was a sub-male but has matured and his coloration has intensified with no females, so if you get a supermale you should fine. There are many other Fairy wrasses that are as beautiful and not so pricey.

mps9506

I like my Fiji Devil, but he is a PITA, no other fish is going in that 10 gallon tank.

I actually have to agree with some of the other suggestions, I'm a big fan of both kole and purple tangs. Kole's seem to do better in the smaller tanks however.

Over the years my favorite fish has become the Bodianus bimaculatus (Candy hog) I don't know how well it would do with your current inhabitants, and it may not be considered a centerpiece fish really, but you already have a Flame that I would consider a centerpiece type fish. You might want to check that one out as well.

stapet77

I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I would check first to be sure he is compatible with your other fish, but if you are looking for a fish with character, get a striped sand skipper blenny. They are so much fun! Mine reminds me of a cat. He is very comical! I am sure that is where the "comical blenny" gets it's name. They don't add a lot of color, but their character just can't be beat. From what I hear, they are also very hardy. Take a look at the picture...doesn't he look fun!

Attachments

• rockskipper.jpg
    rockskipper.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 25

BoomerD

Craig, while I agree that MOST tangs need a larger tank than 4' long, the kole, purple and yellows all stay relatively small in our tanks, and should do fine in a 75. From the pics, it's not like you're some abusive uncaring fishkeeper, but rather someone who does what's best for the animals in his charge...so, IMO, you'd be fine with a tang...just leave the big acanthurus and naso species alone. Another favorite of mine, is the caribbean blue tang, Acanthurus coeruleus:
http://images.google.com/images?sou...&q=Acanthurus coeruleus &oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi