HELP! Led question.

I recently bought the Modular Led kit for the RSM 130D.

I am trying to instal it and am getting confused with the wiring of it.

I am going to run them through a Reefkeeper Lite and I am not sure how to do this.

The Timer is going to have to be bypassed (i think) and I want to try to use the original led moonlights.

I have the advanced lighting module for the reef keeper, but am looking for some experience on how to wire this.

Can anyone help?

Mike

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike did you ask Martin from Modular? He was able to help me with wiring up to a ProfiLux but then again he sells ProfiLux so he would know this route.

Hopefully he'll be able to help.

BLADEYAMAHA

I recently bought the Modular Led kit for the RSM 130D.

I am trying to instal it and am getting confused with the wiring of it.

I am going to run them through a Reefkeeper Lite and I am not sure how to do this.

The Timer is going to have to be bypassed (i think) and I want to try to use the original led moonlights.

I have the advanced lighting module for the reef keeper, but am looking for some experience on how to wire this.

Can anyone help?

Mike

You will have to get a separate driver for the moonlights and have to figure out what wattage the ones you have are. What wiring questions do you have specifically? And what the heck is a reef keeper light?

I think I got it, thanks for the advice. I call Martin at Modular and he helped me I think.

I will try to run it tomorrow and see if it works.

Thanks again!

JK1

Do you need to bypass the timer? I thought you could simply set the timer to be on permanently and use the controller to fade the main LEDs up and down?

Al, I'm hoping your memory is fresh. I will no doubt be asking lots of questions next week as I'm running mine through the Profilux. I red the Profilux user manual but wish I didn't I'm more confused now than before :D hopefully it will make much more sense when I have both my lights and Profilux in front of me.

Good luck overlook reef

I got it after some insight on how they work. Pretty easy to figure out once you realize how the drivers work!
Thank you everyone!

JK1

I just received my LED's and Profilux! Very excited. There are a few uncertainties though. I have emailed Martin at Modular LED but due to the time difference from him to the UK it may be tomorrow before I get a reply.

I think I understand how most of it works but want to be 100%

The drivers have a brown and blue wire at one end. I think that both brown and the other brown from the relay (3 brown total) go into one waterproof connector and the same for the blue (3 blue wires into one connector)

At the other end of the driver there is a cable with 4 wires (red, black, blue and white). I think that the red and black are connected directly to the LEDs via the short red and black wire included with the push fit connector at the ends.

Then I think that the blue and white are wired into my profilux card. only issue is there is no wire enclosed for me to extend these to reach the card. I may have some car speaker wire at home which I could use.

Then, what I don't understand is what I do with the stock timer. Do I change this to be permanently on and then just use the Profilux to dim up and down?

Once I have this sussed, I just need to work out how to set up the Profilux :)

JK1

Thanks, I'm on a train right now but will call layer. I did speak to Martin and am now clear but a little disappointed. I emailed to ask if there was anything I would need and he just said some silicone. However, it turns out that this isn't quite the case.

I now understand that the original relay is not used at all with the Profilux card. The brown and blue wires go into the driver power channels in the EVG card. I should be able to make the reach.

The black and red power the LEDs as I understood before. The wires will reach here too.

The white and blue need to go to the driver dimming channels 1&2 in the EVG card and will not reach. I will need to either buy more wire or find something electrical I no longer use and strip the wires out of the power cable.

The next issue is that the EVG card needs a power supply. This is not included either. Martin suggested using the power cable that powered the stock lights. I hope that works and the voltage is the same.

I should be able to get it wired in but it is more complex than I had imagined and I didn't expect to have to use make shift components to get it up and running.

Wish me luck.

JK1

Thanks Mike, I got these with the card but the confusion comes from following the illustrated instructions on the modular LED website as they are made for the standard dimmer switches and not the Profilux card. I understand how it needs to be wired now after discussing with Martin. I just need to hunt down some extra wire and reuse the old power cable from the stock lights.

Good luck.

Reefkeeper connection is not too bad, but I did need the extra wire that came with the advanced lighting module.

Feel free to give me a call if you want.

Also, a suggestion is to run the intensity no more than 20 percent to start. I ran my blues at 25 percent and my whites at 22 percent and some of my corals did not like it. I turned them down and those corals seem to be opening up a little more and adjusting. I will be turning up the intensity over the next three or four weeks.

JK1

Thanks Mike. I'm planning on uploading step by step pics for anyone else to follow.

Really? As low as 20? They must be super powerful!

They are, but I think they are a more direct beam as well. They tank looks dimmer than it was with the original lights, but I have the blues on a little more than the whites. I have heard people keep them around 40 percent power, but I think you need to work up to that.

No I do not.

I ordered the pod lights for the reefkeeper.

I tried to use the LEDs that are original with the rsm, but without the reflector the lights look too direct and bright.

I am going to see what the reefkeeper moonlights look like, or look at just turning down the blues for night.