Help, large green montipora looking really bad

chefvittles

Hello everyone, I need some help. Over the past few weeks my green montipora has started to look a little bleached out. I couldn't see the change from day to day, but after looking at an old picture it looks like crap. I am running 175w 14,000K metal halide, 24in T5 x2 and six blue LED lights. My tank is 45 gallons with 75 gallon rated sump with a fugium and protein skimmer. Water is pretty good, I think. Calcium is 430, KH= 11.2 Nitrates 0.5 and salinity of 1.026. The coral has been in the same place in the tank for over a year. I changed the lights 6 months ago. I also have really good water flow in that area. The texture has smoothed out and has lost a lot of that great green color. Any thoughts would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Before pic, nice green color and can see polyps
004-2.jpg

Green color looks bleached out and few polyps are extended
0173.jpg

Tab964

Did you check magnesium. Not sure if that is the issue but mine always seems brighter when I raise my level.

chefvittles

Just checked the magnesium in the tank. It is 1320, which I think is good. Any other thoughts about why the montipora is looking faded. The color is fading fast, but not bleached out. Thanks

Tab964

All your numbers seem fine. Has your water current changed or have you seen any parasites like monti nudibranches

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
do a water change and see what happens.

many times fading color in monti is due to low K+ (kalium or potassium)

may be the case here.

how are other SPS doing ?

chefvittles

Everything else in the tank looks great. I did a water change last Thursday of 10 gallons. The only thing that is a little high is the temp. Its reading at 80.

Tab964

When my monti caps fade a bit it is usally something is not right with the water. If you do not have nudibranchs and your lights are not really that old I would check the smaller water stats. 80 is a little high not terribly high. I live in Florida and have to use a chiller 24/7. Mine is set at 76 and has a 3 degree swing before kicking on. So on in summer there are times the tank will get to 80 but it is never for more than a short time till the chiller is able do its job. I do not know if a constant temp of 80 does damage but I think that seems high if constant.

Frankie

RS STAFF
6 months with 175w MH's is close to the end of the cycle. Time for new bulbs.
I would recommend sticking with the same K or go high for more colors.
What salt are you using and how often are you doing water changes?
Testing the K+ Is a good call by Jay. There are two kits on the market you cans use that I know of. I use the KZ kit.