hello
i have this shrimps :

img0763hc.jpg

img0761jy.jpg

what is thet shrmip ^ ?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Mantis shrimp, most definetly. Keep an eye on it. That one is quite brave. As long as it remains under 3" long, it should pose no serious threat except maybe to crabs/snails. If it excedes 3" you will have to set a trap and relocate it. Many people setup dedicated tanks for their mantis, or keep it in the sump. If it really becomes something you do not wish to keep, let me know, i'll happily pay you shipping to get it to me. I love mantis. My own hitchhiker perished when i redid my rock work, i suspect he was hiding in a cave that ended up being under the sand or against the glass.

PIMPALA

The above answers are correct. Its not a shrimp at all. Its a stomatopod. Seeing as how is is out in the open enough for you to take pics, I would consider relocating him now while you can. He should be fairly easy to suction out with a hose like the one you do water changes with. Suck him into a bucket, and take him to a LFS, set up a little nano tank for him, or find someone to give him a home.

One of three things will eventually happen if you dont.

1) he will eat all of your inverts. crabs, snails, everything.
2) he will eat all of your smaller, slower swimming fish
3) he will eat everything in your tank, and move your corals around to his liking.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
You can purchase Mantis Shrimp Traps. It will be baited like a mouse trap, but capture him alive. PM me if you need more info, i'll find ya one...hell send him to me and i'll drop ship it to you LOL.

omerojs

bcz they are fun to have in a separated tank when you decide what to feed them.. but if they came in LR and you have a reef tank with a CUC then they are not desirable cuz they will eat it all.. that is how i understand it!!

Andy

they are cool but are totally rambo like. Look on youtube under 'crustecean wars mantis shrimp' and you will see why. When they get to adults they will kill anything and they have the tools to do it. They are fast and have a sensory that allows them to know exactly how far there prey is infront of them. When they attack two pincers flap out from under its chin and strike. This sounds like it wouldnt hurt that much but has the same power as a .22 rifle. Get it out now as these weapons can crack your aquarium glass (easily) and tanks to house them are recommended to be thick tough glass. Give it to ddelozier it seems he wants one!

Choff

Ya, good sump critters or special tanks. Google the videos on them and you will get it. Type in 'mantis vs' and you see lots of things dying. Even one guy getting his hand nailed by an adult one. I don't think he enjoyed it. :)

Sent using Tapatalk 2