Help i almost DIED!!!!

madmartin

ok ive been in the hobbie for about 3 years now an i am a HVAC tec that being said i am at a loss i was just changeing my water an after draing out water i whent to my new water can an pluged in my pump ive had for 3 years, just befor i put my hand in to switch the hose from return can to new water filled can with pump my wife asked me something i turned to her an as my back was turned she said what is that ? the water pump was smokeing an sparking from in the water!!!!!!! an burning the pump is pluged into an (cheep power strip) but it would not trip!!OMG i was secends away from crab food.. ive stuck my hand in my water an tanks 100s of times i thought i was safe i thought i knew electric... plz help what am i missing an what can i do to safe gard this an not get KILLED :cry1:

Waya

First off replace that pump. Where thick rubber gloves and watch the water for a bit after turning on the pump to see if it has any issues. Replace that power strip as well. Sounds to me like the sealing on the pump broke loose. It happens, all you can do is visually inspect the equipment before inserting your fingers into the water turning them into french fries.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding
(A)Grounded Systems
(5) Effective Ground-Fault Current Path. Electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material likely to become energized shall be installed in a manner that creates a permanent, low-impedance circuit capable of safely carrying the maximum ground-fault current likely to be imposed on it from any point on the wiring system where a ground fault may occur to the electrical supply source. The earth shall not be used as the sole equipment grounding conductor or effective ground-fault current path.

Sounds like? your electrical panel is not properly installed or the circuit your on is need of repair, if its a gfi check that it trips when tested, whatever it is if the circuit breaker isn't working your home and life is at risk.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good lesson for all. Purchase good power strips and mount them above the sump. Don't forget drip loops too.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk