Help Foxface Dying

75reef

Hey all! I have a foxface that wasn't acting himself yesterday. Just a little more lathargic and not eating a whole lot. Today when I got home from work, he is on his side. He tries to swim a little more and then stops on his side again. My water parameters are text book perfect and there are no signs of an bacteria or Ich. This is kindof out of the blue. I just have no idea what could be causing this.

Any ideas of what could be causing this without any visible symptoms?

thanks!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sound internal or there is something up in your water that you are not testing for.
Pictures go a long way in cases like this. Not just the fish but the whole tank also. I particularly want to see the surface. How old is this setup?

75reef

Sorry for the late reply. There has been nothing done differently. My other fish are great and I have 5 corals that are doing great. They are the quickest to let me know if there is something going wrong with the water. He is the same as of now. I moved him over to my wifes smaller tank just incase there is anything in my water. I also treated with some antibacterial solution. He doesn't seem any worse right now but he does not seem any better either.

75reef

has anybody ever had a fish to this point of dying, laying on its side and actually had it recover?

lcstorc

Moving to the fish disease forum.
Post all parameters and pics. Tank specs, time established etc. Anything you can think of and hopefully someone will recognize the problem.

75reef

about 3 months. This tank has been established for about a year and a half. Thats when I completely redid the tank.

leebca

A marine fish will often slowly die from being malnourished or having problematic water quality. I doubt either would be the case here, but I don't know what you feed, how often you feed, the supplements you use, or whether your source water may contain something not tested for, to which this fish has a problem with. Not all fish will die or suffer the same fate at the same time from these kinds of things, despite popular belief.

The most likely scenario is the fish is not acclimated to captive care or poisoned now or at the time of capture to your display. Acclimation takes anywhere from a few hours to a year. It begins with how the fish was handled since it was captured. Some of that is out of your control. The portion in your control is how the fish was acclimated to your system. This part however, is a very small part of acclimation for a fish that has lived this long in captivity.

There is nothing you can do about the acclimation issue, except pray, sacrifice chickens, chant, or whatever you prefer to do when you need Supreme Being intervention. If the fish was caught with poisons or chemicals, there is also nothing you can do.