Help, fish being aggressive towards each other

Talon33

So I have a yellow and kole tangs. I had them for about a month then added flame angel yesterday and that was supposed to be my last fish, both tangs and angels are supposed to be added last so wasn't sure which to add, anyways tangs went nuts over flame, I gave them a day with lights off and they didn't let up. So yellow and kole are both in a 20 gallon QT together and I rearranged scape and left the angel in there to find territory and build up strength, will this work? How long do I need to leave tangs. In QT and will the flame get aggressive towards the tangs when I add them in? Advice is much needed!

AC273

Tangs usually are aggressive when they feel someone moving in on their territory and food supply. Are you feeding them enough marine algae? This usually reduces their aggressiveness.

Last edited:

Talon33

Well I keep a sheet in there at all times on one side of the tank and they were on the other side nipping at my angel, they pretty much just claimed the whole tank as their territory

I put a powder brown in the tank a little over a week ago. He has been pushed around by every fish in the tank. The fighting has diminished for the most part. It may take a few days but they will normally sort it out. Hope it works for you too.

Matt

yklee

yes,how big is your tank? i have a flame angel in my 150G tank with 3 tangs and there is no aggression from the tangs towards the Flame.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Try printing a picture of a yellow tang and tape it picture in on the tank. The yellow will think its other tangs and calm down. Prob do it for a week. Should work unless your tank is too small

Print off like 5-6 pics

yeah^ Good idea that sorta worked for me one time with a yellow and powder tangs. Yellow calmed down chasing powder but they are still aggressive if kept alone. Those guys belong in big packs. :ofr:

Talon33

Sorry everyone tank is a 125 gallon, I removed tangs to QT. kole tang was more aggressive than the yellow, but I added the last 3 fish I wanted today and I will give them a day to get established then tangs will go back in so they will be the last added, hopefully this works

yklee

my suggestion would be, if your tangs are holding up well in the QT,re intro them to the DT only after the new fishes are feeding and swimming freely. actively feeding fishes can withstand stress better.just from my experience.

Talon33

Yeah tangs are doing fine in QT but lfs isn't getting shipment until Tuesday so I guess I will go ahead and reintroduce them tomorrow and hopefully they won't be to aggressive to anything added on tuesday

Mbolt

So I'm a bit confused, as I've read in other forums that 150 is too small for multiple tangs? I'd like to get a blue and additional yellow. (currently 1 yellow) but was worried about this same behavior? thoughts?

Snid

You shouldn't add the others. Here's a little factoid from Liveaquaria.com

Like other Tangs, this member of the Acanthuridae family demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own species, or Tangs in general. Therefore, it is best to keep just one Yellow Hawaiian Tang per aquarium, unless multiple Yellow Hawaiian Tangs are introduced into the system simultaneously.

There is a strong, strong possibility that your current Yellow Tang will be aggressive towards the others. ;)

sirrealism

Snid is dead on. But there is away around this that does work. Take your yellow you have now out and put it in QT. Move some rock work around in your display and when your new one comes in add them at the same time. Its not a guarantee but about a 75% chance it will work if they are the same size or close in size. I have done this and it worked a couple times. But with all the great other tangs out there I would want to add something different like a powder blue, ECT.