help emergency! im freaking out! clam and snail!

I recently got a clam and he has been looking good and attching slowly to a rock i set for him.
Well this morning i got up an found him almost completely closed with a nauserus (spelled right?) those big white floppy snails lodged underneath him.
i quickly removed him but my clam has yet to open at all!

is he going to be ok?!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Under the clam? The clam should be fine. I've had snails and urchins to climb over my clam with no issue. You might want to check your water parameters (temp, ph, alk, ca) to be sure something isn't out of whack...

It is also a very good idea to check the clam's bottom for parasitic snails called pyramid snails. Pyramids prefer clams but will attach to small types of snails too.
Here is a pic of them feasting on a small snail.
61parisitic_pyramid_snails_2.jpg

6679pyramid_snails.jpg

nope he is dead. found the crab picking at him and a cleaner golby starting to make a new home inside him. i dont know what happened, water is good calcium levels are good.
i miss him :away:

DrHank

Sorry about your loss! You haven't really told us anything about your tank so it's tough to say what really happened. I'm sure that we'd all like to help but without knowing about your set up and parameters there isn't anything I can say other than clams can be difficult, require pristine water conditions and have many natural enemies. I'd suggest that you research carefully before attempting another. Again, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.