HELP! Ebo Jager question

rmlevasseur

I recently purchased 2 250 watt ebo jagers for my 180 setup. I have had jagers in the past and always considered them the best. I have mine laying on the bottom of my sump. However today when I went to adjust things in my sump, I felt a very small tinge of electricity on my fingers. I started unplugging things and found it was coming from the heaters.

I always considered these guys to be fully submersible, but when I did some research I found this:

The TS Automatic Aquarium Heaters by Jäger are produced with superior materials and expert craftmanship. Advanced sensor holds temperature steady! Features heavy-duty 2mm thick, shock-resistant Pyrex glass construction. Temperature adjustable from 64° to 90°F. Thermostat is accurate from ±0.5°. Six foot double insulated power cord and suction-cup attachment included. Submersible to water line on heater. Perfect for fresh or saltwater use.

Submersible to water line?? So these guys have to be vertical and can't lie horizontal on the bottom??

If this is true, I need a heater recommendation asap as I don't want jagers in my main display and they are simple too tall to go vertically in my sump. Thanks!

rmlevasseur

Well, you guys took to long to respond, lol. Anyway, MUCH love for Dr Fosters and Smith. I called them and told them the story. The lady that took the call did a little research, and found that this "submersible to water line" was a recent addition to the product description. In any event, even though my heaters were a few weeks out of the warranty period, they credited me IN FULL and sold me two visitherms. They didnt even want the Ebo's back. GREAT customer support.

I must say I am very dissapointed with Ebo Jager though.

rmlevasseur

Thats what I bought Booze. I have NEVER heard of an Ebo not being submersible. Interesting it would be on the DR F&S site but not Marine Depot.

boozeman

'' How To Test for Stray Voltage
Purchase or borrow a voltage meter. They can generally be found for less than $20 at most automotive parts or hardware store.
Turn the selector to "120 AC Voltage".
Insert the tip of the black probe into the third or "grounding" hole in an electrical outlet.
Insert the metal tip of the red probe into the tank water.
Watch the meter needle for any movement. Any needle movement indicates a voltage leak in your system. ''

The Ebo jager's I bought 2 years ago had a waterline, and the ones I bought 2 months ago have a waterline. Both from Marine Depot.

BobBursek

Re: HELP! Ebo Jaeger question

This topic has come up on Reef Central, I have these heaters, I bought them I believe from MD or the Dr,'s, and they were advertised as submersible, on the box it sez submersible but they have the Max depth line on them, I must have gotten them from MD because that is who I called to get the facts after this came up on RC, MD said "for the new UL listing rules they are not allowed to be submersible, but according to Jaeger, as in the past, they are constructed to be submersible".
An Ohm, volt, amp meter is what you want, also know as a multi meter.
Also on RC in this topic someone was insistent that no heater should be submerged, do to failure at some point do to the fact they are submerged.

metweezer

I hope that you enjoy your Visi-Therm's. I hate them! Erratic as hell:flame: I have heard better things about the VT Stealths.
Steve

Frankie

RS STAFF
"The Cheap Voltage Test" by Frankie:

1. take utility knife
2. drag blade across pinkie finger tip lightly but draw blood
3. stick pinkie in water
4. feel the pain!
5 kick self for following Frankie's idea!