Help choosing fish.

kw22

I am thinking of setting up an aquarium of 4-5 foot.Fish wise I want

2 gobies (I like yellowrose and yasha)
2 more gobies (I like yellow watchman,and blue cheeks)
2 yellow tail damselfish
And lastly 2 royal gramma.

Would these fish get along?Are there to many?Could I add another 1 or 2 or should I take away 1 or 2?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi kw22 :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary! :crowd:
What's your expected tank water volume? :fishy::fishy:
There are several compatibility charts for fish.
Here's a good one from liveaquaria http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm
The Royal Gramma is best kept only one to a tank but it's one of my favorites...Love mine :thumbup:
Check out the chart & start a tank thread when you get your tank...
Thanks for joining in & BEST WISHES....:biker

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

lots of great choices in fish - I always read about them here - in a 100 gallon you have lots of options

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+134&pcatid=134

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Kw, I think it's great that you are trying to figure out what fish you want BEFORE you get a tank.
It's all personal preference and there are lots of choices. You might should start with the fish you want most and build around what is compatible with it.
I will tell you from the list you made above that most Damsels are very AGGRESSIVE... beautiful YES they are but not a community friendly fish. I had a Damsel tank many years ago...ya can't hardly trust them to play nice.
Maybe you should consider a pair of non-aggressive Clownfish instead :fishy::fishy:
Add slowly at 1 fish about every 3 or 4 weeks....how many you can have will depend on your decision of tank size.
It's much better not to over crowd your tank & always consider the full grown size of each fish.
They grow pretty fast!

Reddog170

Looking at your list I see one issue. The Damsels that I have had tended to get aggressive towards other fish. They are good easy care fish so that is a good start. I agree that a couple false percs would be a nice pair to get. The link has a great compatibility chart that will go a long way in helping you decide. If you go with the 100 then as a general rule that I follow is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water.
I would look for a Royal gamma, 2 false percs, a pair of purple firefish, and later on maybe a Yellow Tang. I like the Blue Hippo tangs but the last one I had rather enjoyed rearranging my tank.
Also are you thinking of getting corals? This will effect the fish you choose to add. I do commend you for looking and researching what you want to do BEFORE buying anything. Great to see that. And also, continue to ask questions, we will help out in any way that we can. Shaun

joy613

I would not put the damsels in a tank with the choice of fish you have. Now I said that I have a blue devil in with a tomato clown and an orchid dottyback. I have other tanks so if things go wrong I rescue the fish getting beaten up. The gobies should do fine together but only one royal gramma.

Is it the blue that you like of the damsel or the yellow tail? If you get a watchman do you plan on getting a shrimp? Are you thinking about coral?

Start stocking with your least aggressive fish so it can establish a territory, that does help some but it isn't fool proof.
Try not to put in any fish that you may not like remember it is easier to put a fish in a tank than get it out.

kw22

It would be a FOWLR tank.

I would like to keep 2 pairs of gobies,but no shrimp as I heard they will fight.

The blue on the damselfish is great,and yellow is my favourite colour ;)

Any fish you would recommend with

1 yellowrose goby
1 yellow watchman
1 yasha goby (Would be getting one of each of the ones I like be okay???)
And 1 royal gramma

kw22

Reading over my question it doesn't make great sense.

I would "like" to have 2 pairs of gobies,but then I would be able to have the other goby l like so one of each might be better and I think pairs might fight?

DaveK

It would be a FOWLR tank.

I would like to keep 2 pairs of gobies,but no shrimp as I heard they will fight.

The blue on the damselfish is great,and yellow is my favourite colour ;)

Any fish you would recommend with

1 yellowrose goby
1 yellow watchman
1 yasha goby (Would be getting one of each of the ones I like be okay???)
And 1 royal gramma

Another consideration is that gobies tend to hide a lot. You might have all those fish in the tank, and from a distance, never see them. You might want to consider some fish that will tend to swim in the open.

StirCrayzy

I would go with Angels in a FOWLR. very active and generally well mannered. Just have to watch adult sizes, some will get pretty big, and can get territorial.
Here's what I think of for yellow/blue combo. Don't get damsels if you can help it, they're usually quite aggressive.
p-66024-angel.jpg

kw22

I like angelfish but heard that they are very aggressive in tanks less then a 125.Do you think I shou add in 2 or 3?

1 eibli angelfish
1 lemon peel angelfish
And maybe a larger species such as the flagfin,bellus and swallowtail
1 royal gramma
And a pair of gobies

Could I add in the damselfish

DaveK

Sometimes you can add multiple angels, but this is tricky. Often they will fight, even if different species. You can try it, but if you do have a plan B in case the two if them can't live together.

kw22

Okay,thanks everybody.I think i will stick with my original stocking

You are all a great help!! :) :) :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Here's my fish (all but the Royal Gramma, which I love too!)
62766b5f2c6da52e288d27bbea9941c6_zps7cf33459.jpg

I'd say if you like the Blue/Yellow tail Damsel, check out the dwarf Cherub Angel pictured...they are awesome to watch swim in & out of the rockscape. A tireless swimmer with pretty color. I like my green Chromis...they are peaceful fish too.

kw22

I heard that cherub angelfish will attack anything similar I colour,even purple tangs!

I have also been told that chromis will kill each other on groups

Midas blennies fin nip I believe?

Thanks for the suggestions though,I might be wrong :)