hello

chrischunn

hello my name is chris. i dont know anything about this saltwater aquarium stuff but im would love to learn. i just got my first tank is 125 gallon. any help would be appriciated. thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Sure some members can advise on the gph...

Choff

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful people here.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but do you have an idea of what you plan on keeping in your DT(display tank) and how big is your sump?

Generally speaking you don't need a huge amount of flow through your sump. Opinions will vary, but 4 to 10x turnover of your tank volume is plenty. You will need additional flow in your DT.

...stupid auto correct

Snid

Welcome Aboard, Matey!

Before anyone can answer that last question fully, they'd need to know more about how it is plumbed and what materials for the return line you plan on using. They'd also need to know what type of setup you are planning on having in your Display Tank (DT). What you plan to keep helps determine what type of flow you need to have in the tank. That being said, here is some information that may help you help yourself, or at least get you planning.

Head Loss Calculator

Usually the best way to go about setting up the tank is by figuring out what you want to have in it and work backwards. Be patient throughout the process and make sure you take your time trying to get to that final result. It takes years, not months... not weeks... Years to get a final and properly setup Display Tank.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

chrischunn

well haha. im really really new to this. i just got the tank yesterday. dont have the money to get it up and running right now. i have 4 kids haha. im just trying to get some advise on what to do. i think im gonna do fish only right now cause i cant afford the special light u gota have. i have a 125 tank and a ehiem 2215 canister filter. ive heard this will not be enough for it. so i dont even have water in the tank yet. id like to trade this filter for a pump for a sump

chrischunn

just need to know what kind of pump and what size sump. and how to build a sump. sorry bout all the questions. im tired of going to the fish store and bothering them with all my questions

reefle

6-10x flow of tank volume so you're looking at 800-1250 gph for flow. I have a 40 gallon sump+20 gallon refugium in my 125 setup. I think between 30-40 is a good enough size sump for a 125, although it is always better to go bigger if you can.

chrischunn

Im putting my tank in the wall. So im building a dummy wall how far off the main wall should i come out. My tank i believe is 21 inches wide. I dont have much room in this room after buliding a new wall so whats my least amount i can come off the existing wall

Snid

As for distance inside, I'd leave plenty of room for things to hang off the back, even if you don't initially plan for it, so say maybe an additional 6 inches or so. I'd design it to be as accessible from any and all angles as possible, so however you can add service panels would be ideal. I've even seen people have side walls on hinges, if this helps with brainstorming.

chrischunn

As for distance inside, I'd leave plenty of room for things to hang off the back, even if you don't initially plan for it, so say maybe an additional 6 inches or so. I'd design it to be as accessible from any and all angles as possible, so however you can add service panels would be ideal. I've even seen people have side walls on hinges, if this helps with brainstorming.

yea i have been thinking of everything im just having trouble comming up with how to put this thing in the wall and still be able to get to it. its a pain. the room is only 10ftx 9ft. haha and im putting a 125 gallon aquarium in it. what an easy way to post a pic beside photo bucket