Hello World! and ReefSanctuary

Jake Papp

I have been keeping a reef tank since about 2017 I believe. Before that I had freshwater tanks, and I have grown up with freshwater tanks. After moving to the ocean coast and doing some snorkeling and diving I knew that a reef tank was the only way forward for me. I love the diversity, the complexity, and the aesthetics of mature reef tanks. Of course, I have had my fair share of catastrophes.

My tank is a 165g acrylic tank (6' x 2' x 2') with a built in overflow over an Eshopps R300 refugium. I run two old Venturi skimmers on a DC pump, and my return pump is also a larger DC pump. I am currently using 4 150W LED fixtures over the tank, inside of a hood with fans. I dose Ca, Alk, and Mg using a Jabeo doser. I make RODI water, and use a Tunze ATO unit. I recently started running a GFO reactor with a little AC pump, which made my chaeto growing in my fuge obsolete. Just ordered a 36W UV sterilizer. I have 3 Hydor AC powerheads on a controller, and I think I will add another soon.

Livestock is varied, and some things come as others go. I have a mix of soft and stony corals (LPS and SPS). I keep a lot of other inverts as well, from as many different phyla as I can manage: annelids, mollusks, crustaceans, echinoderms, serpent stars, cnidarians, etc. My fish are pretty typical, and some do better than others in my setup. I have cardinalfish, clowns, dragonets, chromis, a pygmy angel, a tang, a wrasse, a dottyback, and probably a few others that aren't coming to mind just now. I won't list the fish and inverts that are no longer with us; saltwater is definitely harder than freshwater.

I have read through many posts online, and many are informative, but many are only partially accurate at best. I tend to be very thorough and I pride myself on being more or less well-informed. Hopefully I can use this resource (and other forums) to enhance my own tank, my friends' and family's tanks, and maybe even the tanks of total strangers someday.

Not only am I interested in full-blown mixed reef tanks, but I am considering moving into the aquaculture industry. I am an engineer and an administrator, not a marine biologist or farmer, so this would be a big change, but I think I can do it successfully. My goal is to grow corals on a large scale, and eventually to contribute to reef conservation (hopefully before it is too late).