Hello all

Jason1

Hai guise,

Just wanted to say whats up to you all. I just picked up a nice 37 gal aquarium that I plan on making into a reef (bought it Sunday night 12/7). I have found tons of great information here and wanted to thank you guys for putting together those extensive write ups on how all the cycling and everything works.

I do have a few questions:
1)I see many of you recommending throwing in some deli shrimp to give the tank cycle a jump start. How many shrimp? how big should the shrimp be? how long should i leave them in there for (until fully decomposed?)? is it a must to put the shrimp into a bag while in the tank?

I went to the fresh market today and picked up 2 huge deli shrimp...i just want to make sure im not overdoing it. Just as an idea, the 2 shrimp are about 3 to 3 1/2" long each and are pretty bulky (they were the biggest the store had).

2)I bought about 65LBS of rock, some live, some base. Does the cycling of the tank correlate directly with the curing of the rock? or is that totally separate? Just want to make sure that if my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are good to support animals that my rock will also be good to go.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions because this is my first aquarium and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I will also post the aquarium specs and some pics when I get out of work =)

thanks!
-Jason

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track. You can cycle a tank with live rock (was the live rock "cured" when you purchased it?).

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:hallo: Jason, welcome to the Sanctuary!

Hai guise,

Just wanted to say whats up to you all. I just picked up a nice 37 gal aquarium that I plan on making into a reef (bought it Sunday night 12/7). I have found tons of great information here and wanted to thank you guys for putting together those extensive write ups on how all the cycling and everything works.

I do have a few questions:
1)I see many of you recommending throwing in some deli shrimp to give the tank cycle a jump start. How many shrimp? how big should the shrimp be? how long should i leave them in there for (until fully decomposed?)? is it a must to put the shrimp into a bag while in the tank?

You do not have to put the shrimp in a bag, but it makes it easier to remove the rotting corpse, if needed, at a later date. Just use a panty hose from your wife, mother, sister, girlfriend (boyfriend :lol:), grandmother, whom ever! Put the shrimp in and tie a knot at each end.I went to the fresh market today and picked up 2 huge deli shrimp...i just want to make sure im not overdoing it.

One shoud be enough in a tank of that volume!

2)I bought about 65LBS of rock, some live, some base. Does the cycling of the tank correlate directly with the curing of the rock? or is that totally separate? Just want to make sure that if my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are good to support animals that my rock will also be good to go.

This is two different events, however, they can be combined.

Curing LR is generally a process by which LR is allowed to sit and give off its noxious, dying and decaying matter.

Cycling the tank is a process by which the nitrifying bacteria are allowed to flourish and grow thereby setting-up the biologic filter for the tank.

Cycling can be combined with curing, if you have uncured LR. Using uncured LR generally will provide enough decaying matter that a deli shrimp is not needed.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions because this is my first aquarium and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I will also post the aquarium specs and some pics when I get out of work =)

thanks!
-Jason

ReefLady

Staff member
Well, uncured rock will have a lot more "life" on it, and will *definitely* cycle a tank. It's usually more expensive. You'll have to do frequent water changes, or it will get smelly. :) Cured rock has already been through a "cycling" process, but if you introduce enough to the tank it will probably still spark a cycle. Essentially, the cycle is sparked by something dying. Transporting live rock, exposing it to air, etc, will all generate some die off. To be certain you will get the cycle, you can add the shrimp (I'd probably only add one). Make sure you've invested in a decent test kit, so you can track the progress.

Jason1

sweet, thanks for the clarification!

I already have the LR in the tank (about 45-50 LBS of it) and i have test kits and a bunch of other goodies coming in the mail on friday ^__^

thanks again! and ill have those pic's posted hopefully tonight =P

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The only way to know if it is cured is by asking the LFS where you bought it or if you got it from an established reef. Any cured rock that is removed from the water for any length of time, even if it's to transfer it from the LFS to your home, there will be die off.

Jason1

Sorry for taking so long on the updates

Thanks for the welcomes and as promised, here are a few shots of the tank.

Angled_full_tank.jpg

angle_shot.jpg

Full_tank15.jpg

Rocks1.jpg

Tank27.jpg

whole_tank2.jpg

Cave.jpg

aiptasia.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Side_shot.jpg

1 and 1/2 weeks since everything has been inside. I have 1 rock so far covered in red slime (cyanobacteria) and aiptasia growing in the tank now =(

I have also been told to take the aiptasia out. Is it detrimental to the tank?

overall, so far so good.

also, I have more Photos uploaded, but i cant figure out why they wont post, sorry QQ

Mya

Well ... Looks like you need to start a chronicle for one...

Two, the tank looks good. Very good. You're aquascape is very nice. You should be very proud.

Lastly, the group will be able to tell you what to do about all the issues you are having. Do you see now why they say.. "Cycle a tank before adding fish?" Im glad you get the point. Many don't.

Also, WELCOME TO RS!

*Edit - Bio-Balls... Hmmm... You don't have a refuge going do you? And are you planning on one?

Stacef

Your aquascaping is amazing, so many caves, placed very nicely.

Your question on Aiptasia, it is said to get it out, they multiply like bunnies, and if you plan on having corals, they will sting corals.

If you plan on controlling them with peppermint shrimp in the future, (it's to early to add one now, I'm sure you know this) then don't let the current ones get to pick, get in there and get them, either with joe's juice, aiptaisa X or the cheapest route squirt super glue gel into there mouth, the tentacles will wrap around it and be stuck, and eventually die.

Jason1

Well ... Looks like you need to start a chronicle for one...

Two, the tank looks good. Very good. You're aquascape is very nice. You should be very proud.

Lastly, the group will be able to tell you what to do about all the issues you are having. Do you see now why they say.. "Cycle a tank before adding fish?" Im glad you get the point. Many don't.

Also, WELCOME TO RS!

*Edit - Bio-Balls... Hmmm... You don't have a refuge going do you? And are you planning on one?

thank you very much for the compliments. I actually had my friend help me out alot with the scaping.

as for the Refuge. I want to add one, but i was told it was not necessary to add one for a tank my size. I also read that bio balls are not the best for reef tanks. Originally i wanted to try to mod the Pro clear system to make the part where the bio balls are into a refugium, but I havnt looked into it too much still (tank is still only a little over a week old). The tank + supplies and accessories have already put a nice dent in my bank account so i was going to hold off until the tank was cycled before adding anything new.

I know its probably better to start now with the fuge since i have to put rock/sand/chaeto and whatever else inside...could someone maybe recommend a cheap solution? is there such thing as a "refugium package" or is it simply a small tank on the side?

Stacef

There is such a thing as a refugium package. But, you mentioned you want a cheap solution, and they usually run very pricey. The cheapest route, if you are a DIY'r is to build your own, using a tank that fits under the stand, and acrylic or glass for the baffles. It's really not to pricey after your done, and makes a world of difference for your tank life.

I would ditch the bio balls also, they are nitrate factories. Just my personal preference though..

For starters Welcome to RS hope you enjoy it... and as everyone else said great aquascape looks very very nice in your tank. ill tell you now when i cycled my tank i used teh shrimp and it worked great i let it decinigrate in there the only thing left was teh tail and i ahvnt had a problem yet if my cam had batteries and i didnt have dial up out here i would post pics. but my tank has not had a problem yet but ph drop that was on me thoe for not testing it... but good luck and happy reefering
thomas