Helen's RSM130

miro

Thanks for the info Oxy, did not know that about the shrimp! Gonna try to take it easy and not rush into anything, so for now im happy with the one i have :) (most likely getting another one in the future:p)

As it is summertime and vacation, i've been a bit absent, will be more active in the end of august :D

Tiny update on the tank:
*Cleaner shrimp molted and has awesome color now!
*My hermit molted also!
First i was freaked out cos i couldnt find him for days and thought that yep, another one dead.. and felt so bad that maybe i had done something wrong! Some days later i see pieces of him around the tank, made me even more sad! As i was wondering what the reason was, i was also unable to spot my goby - even more SAD - panic! :pityparty:
So i was sitting and trying to see into every hole and cave to find him - with a flashlight! And then i saw something crabbish, whiteish or transparent move in one of the holes of the rock, and first thing that i could think of was that i got a hitchhiker evil crab with the LR that came with the coral and that he is the ROOT of all evil who ate my hermit a chopped my goby into pieces!! :flame:
So then finally my goby shows himself, by accident i guess:nekid:, but still im happy that he is alive!:bounce:
Some days pass, yesterday i told my other half to turn the lights off on the tank, and he comes running back and saying omg Crabby McCrab is ALIVE!(yes thats what we actually for some reason call him):baghead: i guess it was him that i saw in that hole, all naked?
I didnt know hermits molt is so "nice" that he could pull off faking his own death!! :smokin:
So im SUPER happy, everyone is alive and well! :woohoo:
But do feel a bit silly that molting didnt even cross my mind :duh:

I have been battling a bit with algae and also cyano started popping up, reduced the light and everything is getting a lot better a lot faster! Will take a pic before i will leave for a tiny vacation on sunday, then the tank will be extra clean and newcomers that are arriving tomorrow will be in place :props:

Last edited:

miro

Oh ye, another thing.. The rock piece i got with the coral has a tiny shrimplike thing living in it as well.
image.jpg
This is the "best" photo i have been able to get of him while giving him food so he would stretch out a bit. Phone pic with a strong zoom, yey for quality!:baghead:
Aaanyway, its redish and bit transparent, with 2 dark eyes that are poking out, pretty sure its a shrimp. Ive seen his butt a couple of times when he turns around and goes down. He pops out and does take food from me, but never completely leaves the hole, butt is always in!
Closest match ive found is a mysid shrimp :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
He doesn't look like this does he? this one is a red mantis shrimp - those independent eye are what made me ask... see what others think

a mantis shrimp can explain deaths... of snail, fish, etc...

odontodactylus-sp_product_zoom_thumb.jpg

miro

No i dont think so. His face looks alot like the cleaner shrimps, just he is alot smaller. Read also that mysids are filter feeders, and thats what he mainly does also, pops out to grab stuff floating by unless i directly give something to him..his antennas in the front are striped, red and white, also as said he never leaves the hole and there have been no deaths.. :fingerscrossed:
Omg i really hope im not mistaking and its not a shrimp of doom after all!:whip:

I get the patience & time part of this saltwater tank gig, but my god the stress! :heeeelp:
The whole reason i wanted a tank was to relax and look at it :D I guess/hope it will come after i have learned and experienced the basics :baghead:

DaveR11

No i dont think so. His face looks alot like the cleaner shrimps, just he is alot smaller. Read also that mysids are filter feeders, and thats what he mainly does also, pops out to grab stuff floating by unless i directly give something to him..his antennas in the front are striped, red and white, also as said he never leaves the hole and there have been no deaths.. :fingerscrossed:
Omg i really hope im not mistaking and its not a shrimp of doom after all!:whip:

I get the patience & time part of this saltwater tank gig, but my god the stress! :heeeelp:
The whole reason i wanted a tank was to relax and look at it :D I guess/hope it will come after i have learned and experienced the basics :baghead:

The eyes do have the feel of a Stomatopod but we need a better picture if possible.....

miro

Hmm, if it turns out it is, it will grow bigger then and leave the hole? At the moment its so small that i cant see him hurting anyone. The more i look at different photos the more it confuses me! :banghead:
I will try getting a better pic on my camera, but it doesnt help that he only has his nose or antennas out of the hole!

Oxylebius

I think Glenn (nanoreef) is going in the right direction here.

So please tell me how small, when you say small. You mentioned mysids, but these as adults are tiny, mm in length. I don't think your shrimp is that small. Is it? I need to know the estimated length, it will help w/the ID.

And... You described the face as like a cleaner shrimp, but what about its claws? Are they tiny and thin? Or are they larger and is one bigger then the other? Like snapping shrimps?

Any chance you can get a larger picture?

Last edited:

miro

Thanks for the input! Doh, how didnt i think of checking the size! Id say he is between 2-3cm.. guess thats not that small after all, but compared to the skunk he is fairly small! :p he has really thin and tiny claws (atleast it seemed so the last time i saw him stretch out). He has 2 antennas that split in the middle into 2, and those have red and white stripes on them. Those are the main things you can see from his hole most of the time :D
I have never ever seen him completely out of the hole, ever. If i go ninjacheck in the middle of the night or smt, even when he catches food, he stretches out a lot but never leaves. Also no one in the tank has been harmed.. yet :eek:

Its late now and im flying off for a 2w trip, i will try getting close ups and maybe making a video of him eating or smt once i get back :)

image.jpg
The shrimps lives in that purple rock with coral on the left. :p

Yesyesyes, its a tiny tang in a tiny tank, he is visiting me temporarily :) but omg im in love with that fish! He is soo fun to watch and pretty color! :drool: